• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 pro heat problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blitzco

Registered
I started getting huge artifacts all over my screen after a few minutes even at the boot screen, the fan stopped working yesterday but seems to be going at full speed now, and the heatsink gets so hot it almost burns.

when putting on thermal paste do I need to let it set?
and I assume i dont need to put paste around the shim?

I've got an artic cooler and ramsinks coming soon, if they don't fix it i'm f'd

blitzco said:
I started getting huge artifacts all over my screen after a few minutes even at the boot screen, the fan stopped working yesterday but seems to be going at full speed now, and the heatsink gets so hot it almost burns.

when putting on thermal paste do I need to let it set?
and I assume i dont need to put paste around the shim?

I've got an artic cooler and ramsinks coming soon, if they don't fix it i'm f'd

thermal paste goes on the core..... i'd suggest using arctic silver 3 or 5. The thermal paste will eventually set so you don't need to let it sit before you start using it.... just know that the temps will go down a little once the thermal paste has gone through a few power downs and restarts.....

case temp is 28C, it's not overclocked, it used to be, it's been bios flashed and flashed back a few days ago, I know it has to be the heat, the heatsink is burning hot, which means it must be taking the heat from the core, the fan is spinning properly, why is it still so hot?

I'm fine getting into windows, I can run a game for a few minutes, or ati tool for seconds and get artifacts that stay on the desktop screen, vertical red lines about 2cm wide. they then go away after 5-10mins, but will come back if i run anything

grrrr

you may have damaged the core when the fan wasnt working if your getting artifacts without OCing it.

yeah deffo a heat problem, stuck it out in the cold, and it's fine, even overclocks further, my room temperature is about 28C so maybe that was it

Back