• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worst FPS ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

I have a fx5900 ultra 256mb
Dell dimension pc2300 768mb, willy 1.9ghz p4

And i get 15fps in combat in america's army with even explorer.exe closed...

y does my FPS suck so much, a guy with a geforce 2 is getting better FPS...

probably cause thats a dell, with low quality ram and a lackluster CPU, you cant have a state of the art graphics card on a marginal rig and expect it to perfrom the same as a state of the art rig.

and dont double post, if you wanna say something just edit your post to add it.

i dont remember where i double posted but back on topic, so you're saying my system is the bottleneck?

ok, so what system would give me enough for it not to be a bottleneck anymore?

do i need 4ghz and pc4200 ram to get the 40fps everyone is getting?

What are your graphics set to? Are they maxed out? It can be a pretty demanding game with the graphics settings set to max. Try lowering them and your resolution, also make sure Vertical Sync is not on.

That is a killer video card, for that system. The CPU is very weak, like 1.2-1.4 AMD Tbird bad and it probably had PC100 or PC133 ram (not fast at all). Definite bottleneck. Tweak the settings, that system should still play AA fine so long as you aren't running too high resolution and maxing out the gfx options.

If you want good FPS AND high gfx quality get atleast a 2500+ AND or a 2.4 Ghz P4, some decent ram and overclock it. I recommend those because they are fairly cheap and won't bottleneck the system much in gaming even at stock speeds. Of course, you should overclock to get better performance, but stock with those would be okay. Its enough power to push a game and get your card working hard.

You don't need 4 ghz (or 4000+ whatever), its just cool to have and an overclockers badge of honor. While its nice, it doesn't improve gaming performance that much over say, 3 ghz when your card is getting stressed. Turning the settings up on a game will quickly make your gfx card the bottleneck so long as you have a decent CPU/mobo/ram to work with (which you don't... yet).

To sum it up, you have 3 coices:

1) Turn the settings down on the game and keep what you have (it will easily do 60 FPS in AA).

2) Get a decent, cheap system (Mobile Barton 2500+)

3) Go all out and get a killer A64 system or go for a 4 Ghz P4 system if it suits your needs better (i.e. encoding)

EDIT: You need to see what your setting for D3D and Opengl are. If you don't know, they are in the Display--->Settings---->Advanced. Make sure you have stuff set to performance or the lowest settings to eliminate that as a problem. Then tweak your game settings to the lowest they will go, except for the resolution, 1024 x 768 should be good.

Thanks people, i just changed some settings and im getting 40fps, but it still does this thing where it freezes for half a second sometimes...

I have a 1.8ghz willy, geforce2, 512mb pc2100
I get about 30fps in AA at 800x600 low settings

mhh I also have the feeling that you have not reinstalled windows since you got that machine!?

yes? that could be a good reason. if you dont want to reinstall do a full cleanup!

anti virus, spybot, registry cleaning, tempory files deletion, uninstalling mobo drives and graphics drives, reinstalling with newest versions and finally defragmentation!!!

No, i have reinstalled windows, and as i said before whenever i run the game i close everything including explorer.exe and the cpu is at 1% usage and 100mb ram used...

I agree with everyone else.
get a 2.4 or higher processor with HT and an 800Mhz Bus. (you'll probably need new motherboard for that one.)
also, up to 1024MB of GOOD 333Mhz or better RAM.
you'll see a VERY good jump in frame rates on every game.
also. If you buy a motherboard with 2 ram bus's instead of getting only 1-1024 chip, get 4-256 Chips. It uses the bandwidth better. my system went from 1.5GB/Sec transfer (with just one 512 chip) to 3.5GB/Sec transfer when I added another 512 and 2-256 chips. The performance jump on FPS games (far cry, Doom3, etc.) was phanominal!

Back