• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me the best professional workstation machine 1.2k - 1.7k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

racpuc

Price Range: 1.2-1.7K (after shipping and Taxes. In Cali so newegg might not be a good thing because of the tax)
no monitor neeed
no overclocking
not just for rendering and will mostly spend time making the model then rendering

requirements:
cpu and hsf (Two cpu preffered but can go 1)
case and psu case (prefer front usb and firewire)
mb
video (prefer a pro card: ie quadrofx)
mem (prefer 1gb)
hd (prefer 80gb)
250 zip drive
cd/dvd drive and cd/dvd burner
floppy drive

Primary Programs used
-autocad
-3d max
-maya
-form z

Secondary Programs used
-adobe pagemaker
-adobe illustrator
-adobe photoshop
-adobe image ready
-adobe premier
-adobe acrobat
-adobe acrobat distiller
-word
-excel
-powerpoint
-internet explorer
-dreamweaver
-quicktime player
-whin zip
-power dvd
-real player
an antivirus / firewall program

Last edited:
if u live in CA, it doesn't matter where u order from, you will get hit with da tax :)

That's alot of intensive work and a dual CPU will probably suit u better, there is a huge hype on the AMD 64, but from what i'm thinking I think u are better suited with a P4 HT. Put 2 HD in raid is really good for what you are doing, you'll need alot of speed.

What i don't understand is that why would you want a pro video card? I understand that you are working with graphic intensive programs, but would a TI4200 work for you? it has relatively high clock speed, and since you are not gaming you won't need DX9.

I don't think that you'll need an extra CDRW or DVD rom, just 1 DVDRW will be enough, if u have the dough then go for 2 DVDRW :) kindda a waste actually.

ever consider those Raptor in RAID or even just 1 Raptor for window n application?

I guess you'll need some thing quiet and since you don't OC you can go cheap on the fans, heatsink, RAM.

1.7K will get you very far :) good luck, start looking at newegg for stuff.

warlock110 said:
if u live in CA, it doesn't matter where u order from, you will get hit with da tax :)

That's alot of intensive work and a dual CPU will probably suit u better, there is a huge hype on the AMD 64, but from what i'm thinking I think u are better suited with a P4 HT. Put 2 HD in raid is really good for what you are doing, you'll need alot of speed.

What i don't understand is that why would you want a pro video card? I understand that you are working with graphic intensive programs, but would a TI4200 work for you? it has relatively high clock speed, and since you are not gaming you won't need DX9.

I don't think that you'll need an extra CDRW or DVD rom, just 1 DVDRW will be enough, if u have the dough then go for 2 DVDRW :) kindda a waste actually.

ever consider those Raptor in RAID or even just 1 Raptor for window n application?

I guess you'll need some thing quiet and since you don't OC you can go cheap on the fans, heatsink, RAM.

1.7K will get you very far :) good luck, start looking at newegg for stuff.

If I order from outstate companies like axiontech, monarch, and twc I can save around $130 from tax alone.

If you read recent articles about raid 0, I dont think performance would be affected because the files I will be working with (except for photoshop files) dont get bigger then 100 megs. I'm using the zip for backups because I just have to many disk to just not use them anymore.

Professional cards like quadrofx actually help greatly in working with 3d modeling. They will blow away gaming cards with open gl professional programs. Playing games on them is decent but thats not main purpose with this computer.

The extra drive will be nice to make easy backups dvd to dvd packups plus ripping will be faster on a regular dvd drive. Ram for me will be expensive due ot the ecc requirement from dual cpus

If you actually price out what I need 1.7 barely meets my requirements.

Back