• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

August CPU price drop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040804013641.html

This link is to an a short news release of sorts, talking about Intel making their 64-bit processors available. What caught my eye was not the 64-bit thing, but the fact there is one of those scheduled Intel price cuts coming up in a little over two weeks (Aug. 22nd). The 3.4 will drop to $278 or so, which means that those P4s (2.8/3/0/3.2) that so many of us like will probably drop in price, as well. No guarantee of them dropping, but most of the time the price drops trickle on down the product line.

If you are in the market for a new proc, you might want to wait a few weeks. Hopefully you can save some bucks if you do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.

The next time I get an urge to buy a gig of $400 dollar ram (for the record, never have), I'll just buy a couple of spare P4(s) (3.0 @ $178 + 3.2 @ $218) instead, and with the change I can get a Hardees Angus beef cheeseburger for lunch (best drive-thru burger in town). One gig of ram = 2 nice procs...seems out of whack to me.

Reefa_Madness said:
Thanks for the link.

The next time I get an urge to buy a gig of $400 dollar ram (for the record, never have), I'll just buy a couple of spare P4(s) (3.0 @ $178 + 3.2 @ $218) instead, and with the change I can get a Hardees Angus beef cheeseburger for lunch (best drive-thru burger in town). One gig of ram = 2 nice procs...seems out of whack to me.

Haha yeah, pretty crazy huh.

Oh, and I just wanted to say the 2005 Superbowl will be in Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA. :D :attn:

February 2005 - Jacksonville, Florida at Alltel Stadium, last time I checked.

If anybody is buying a new system I would suggest they stay with Socket478 since LGA775 has nothing over Socket478. LGA775 boards new features over 478's are those PCI Express slots which are no use now since there arent any good graphic cards on PCI Express yet, and DDR2 latencys are very high at the moment and LGA775 processers have no performance advantages over Socket478 and 478 has so much more heatsinks then LGA775.

Back