• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No argument on who's #1 (well, at least in sales)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some thoughts come to mind looking at that list.

1) If Samsung can increase the production of their latest low-latency chips, their market share should be safe.

2) On the question of does A-Data produce their own chips? I have come to my personal opinion that they don't, but if they do, they would have to be part of that "Other" group, because they are not in the top 10.

3) Where would Winbond be, if they had not stopped production of their bh-5/bh-6 series (better or worse)?

4) Hynix has benefited from the shift to high fsb computing, in a big way, but it would appear to be somewhat at the expense of Micron.

5) What will this list look like after a year or two of DDR2 ???

No one here that has bought any in the last six months is going to argue that point, are they?

That is in fact a truckload of money...make that a bunch of large truckloads.

Mmmm, well in response to
Hynix has benefited from the shift to high fsb computing
I don't think that any of these companies make the majority of their profits on the good memory, I always thought the make it off the cheap stuff. After all, no OEM PC company uses more than DDR400 spec.

Either way, that's a heck of a lot of money :D

interesting read, hey reefa im not trying to be nosey, but u sound like a guy with a degree in economics/business.(nothing wrong with that. in fact thats a good thing)

Senater_Cache said:
w000000000000t !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways,
Thats a very interesting, thats what, 6.667 billion dollars ??
Thats not taht much, I always though there was much more in mem than that.... but what do I know, Im just a guy in college
GO G8TORS !!!

That was only for Q2 of this year. Times that by 4 plus the expansion rate and your looking closer to 25-30 Billion this year! :D

flapperhead said:
interesting read, hey reefa im not trying to be nosey, but u sound like a guy with a degree in economics/business.(nothing wrong with that. in fact thats a good thing)

flapper, I'll take that as a compliment.

BSBA - major in Accounting from U of F, class of '79 (should've been sooner, but I spent way too much time on the back of a bad-*** Kawasaki, chasing Gator Tail, Seminole Squaws and Georgia Peaches; and to think that some guys go to football games to watch other guys play football)

I'm all grown up now, happily married family man, with two kids and a dog and the rest of all that good stuff.

Still like fast things, though.

violineb said:
Mmmm, well in response to I don't think that any of these companies make the majority of their profits on the good memory, I always thought the make it off the cheap stuff. After all, no OEM PC company uses more than DDR400 spec.

Either way, that's a heck of a lot of money :D

The thing about the Hynix is that it is DDR400 (see kvr PC3200 dual-kits for example), being SOLD by lots of the "big boys" down to the Buffalo Techs as PC4000-PC4300. Meaning Hynix was selling alot of ICs to everyone. That was all I was trying to point out, the shift late last year and earlier this year to the faster fsb, without concern for fast timings was the perfect recipe for bt-d43 & d5 chips.

Last edited:
Senater_Cache said:
w000000000000t !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways,
Thats a very interesting, thats what, 6.667 billion dollars ??
Thats not taht much, I always though there was much more in mem than that.... but what do I know, Im just a guy in college
GO G8TORS !!!

Haha, fellow Gators I see. GO G8TORS !!!

Reefa_Madness said:
flapper, I'll take that as a compliment.

BSBA - major in Accounting from U of F, class of '79 (should've been sooner, but I spent way too much time on the back of a bad-*** Kawasaki, chasing Gator Tail, Seminole Squaws and Georgia Peaches; and to think that some guys go to football games to watch other guys play football)

I'm all grown up now, happily married family man, with two kids and a dog and the rest of all that good stuff.

Still like fast things, though.

it was my friend, u think very logically.. yeah as we get older we live vicariously for speed in different ways...now its computers for me....

flapperhead said:
it was my friend, u think very logically.. yeah as we get older we live vicariously for speed in different ways...now its computers for me....

LOL...all I want is RAM that's faster than my commute on I-95 goin' north to DC in the morning...

Maxvla said:
winbond and i'm very surprised to see them at #10 :confused:

I thought that was kind of curious, as well. I thought that they were phasing out of DRAM altogether, with only ch-5 (maybe ch-6) being their only current product(s). Is that a missconception on my part?

Reefa_Madness said:
I thought that was kind of curious, as well. I thought that they were phasing out of DRAM altogether, with only ch-5 (maybe ch-6) being their only current product(s). Is that a missconception on my part?
i believe you are correct about ch5 being their only current memory chip, however i know that most of the major brands use ch5 quite a lot. kingston, corsair, mushkin, geil, etc all use ch5 in most of their rams.

CH-5 isn't being made any more so once it's gone winbond is done. They have moved into the more profitable flash memory and other things

Maxvla and mrspec3,

This question is for you guys, and its off topic somewhat, but since I started the thread, what the heck. Since ch-5 has been mentioned, what is your take on it, and what would be some of the better products currently available using ch-5.

How does it overclock and what kind of timings and voltages does it neet to reach the higher speeds. Your comments would be appreciated, as well as those of others who have thoughts on ch-5.

Lastly and related...has anyone ever seen ch-6? I know that it is supposed to be in some of the Corsair PC3200C2 chips, according to that DDR listing that is floating around, but just curious as to whether anyone actually has seen it, because certainly, no one talks about it.

My neighbor has ch-6, it likes voltages, but it hates timings under 2.5-4-4- or 3-3-3. Can get to about 230fsb pretty well on those timings.

Ch-5 can stay tighter, most of the time it will run 2-3-2, more voltage it should be able to run 2-2-2. Won't scale as well with 2-2-2 as bh-5, but can hit around 240-260 with 2-3-3 or 3-3-2.

Sorry if I'm butting in :)

Back