• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried installing DoomIII in a Ram Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Last week we were all talking about the speed and performance issues of installing games directly into your Ram or a Ram Drive. Now if someone out there has 4Gb of Ram in thier PC, you could pull this off. Or if you had a Ram drive with enough free space in it, you could do it too...

I have got to hear if someone has tried this yet. Just imagine loading the game up instantly with absolutely no wait times. I wonder how fast that would improve the frame rates? Any ideas?

It wouldn't really be worth it. I have a 4GB PCI Ramdrive at home and it is nice, but the performance gains aren't that spectacular.

You would have to reinstall the game if you shut your PC down... But I don't think the PC would slow down at because it would not be searching for data from the hard drive...

I wonder if the the FPS chart would look like this?

---------____-----------__----------_-------------___------------___----___-----__-

Stable!

It wouldn't change the frame rate at all. Load timings would be fast yes but does the game really use the HDD while playing for any actual read/writes that max it out? I don't think so

Back