• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ARGH] Dead x800PRO - who's fault!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

mine i guess :(

it's dead :( - i bought an x800PRO from bob on here - worked perfect!!!

its weird - it ran fine - then i formated my system the other day - put in dx9c and cat's 4.8

and from then i could never overclock it as far - last i had it was 526 / 563 when it used to do 540 / 580 easy! with no issues on cat's 4.7 and DX9b.

everytime i benched it it would work fine, then get artifacts next time around! so i kept having to down clock it.

then i reboot my computer the other night and no display - lSoO i look up the error codes for my AI7 - seems something with memory clearing (the AI7 jas an digital 2 code read out for the post process on it) - so try new memory - still no display figure okay - mobo is dead no biggie - RMA it.

try another vid card in the system ATI 8500 - works! okay wtf!!

try the x800 in my other system - wont boot :( harddrive kicks in - but no display - clear CMOS - no go - in my Abit AI7 - i flash the bios again to latest and clear CMOS - still no go with the X800

so it seems like this x800 lived a short life and i now have a $450 paper weight :(

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So annoying - is there anything else i could try before i decided how to punish this card? I guess i am lucky - i assume it fried due to the overclocking but weird how it worked with certain drivers and then dies with others - hence why i stated who's fualt - think MS and ATI would buy me a new card..LOL wishful thinking.

And if it is dead - what fun should i have with it - burn it - shot it with a b-b- gun? whip it against a wall? pee on it?

jeepers. I would RMA the card.

That doesn't sound like you damaged it with anything you were doing.

Perhaps the mobo voltage spiked or something, or it was just a poor card...

^^ possibly, i have dual 400w PSU's - maybe could of done it argh!!!!

i would feel kind of wrong RMA'n it since i did overclock it :( and i dont think i can return it to the store that it was bought at i think it only had some 15 day return policy - will haev to check the receipet that bob included with the card.

I would try to RMA it, since it doesn't sound like it was your fault, but you should mention to ATi that you overclocked it beforehand and see what they say. It might have been the Dual 400w PSU's, but as Docta_Z mentioned, I think it was just a poor card; one that appeared stable at higher OC's, but couldn't handle it in the long run. I think that it eventually would have failed even at stock speeds in the long term as well.

Since VisionTec made the card would i try to RMA it to them or right to ATI ?

yeah i emailed visiotec - now i got to find the original reciept you gave me..lol why did i have to clean my room!!!!

will try taking off the ram sinks and such as well put it in original condition.

As for artifacts - i was getting them on both core and memory - i would put either to stock and up the other and seem to get artifacts -

SO, time to go buya VIVO if vision wont RMA :D

i will try to tell them it s my only computer and i need to use it a.s.ap.

Yeah I usually include a small note with my RMA that just says what the problem with it it.

Anyways hope it gets fixed up for you. Good luck.

don't sweat it if you can't find receipt, i can run out to the store and get them to print me a new one

well some good enws is i got my western Digital raptor todaqy 74g :)

so now just have a 9200SE for now in the system..lol

glad i did not order Doom III

thanks Bobmanfoo - i think may need to do that i cleaned my room and i got so many receipets and stuff around it is ahrd to find anything.

if i can return the favor somehow let me know! dont want you to go out of your way.

Last edited:
^^ Maybe you should read the rest of my post.

i assume it fried due to the overclocking but weird how it worked with certain drivers and then dies with others - hence why i stated who's fualt - think MS and ATI would buy me a new card..LOL wishful thinking.

So the card works fine - i then reboot my computer and it suddenly does not work... and it was working fine before i rebooted it - no artifacts, nothing.

I dont plan to BS Visiontek - i have already emailed them and explained the situation as to what has happened and every step i took.

Back