• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent card for under $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iqwertyi

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I'm searching for a card for under $100. I don't have a preference to ATI or NVIDIA just as long as it does the job. The card will mostly be used at work for CAD and occasional gaming. No plans on overclocking, so would like a good card out of the box.

Thanks in advance. :)

OK, here's some cards from newegg that's under 100

MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "FX5600XT-VTDR128" -RETAIL

MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-TD128" -RETAIL

Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9550 Video Card, 128MB DDR,128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GC-R9550GU-C3" -RETAIL

CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ATLANTIS RADEON 9600" -RETAIL

ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL

Getting confused with all the suffixes like SE, LE, XT, etc.

Thanks again :)

I dont know alot about them but I'd probably go for #4 on your list out of those but I'd probably try to save a bit more $$$ and buy a bit better card if possible

I'm open to opinions. It doesn't have to be from the list I selected. I've never bought refurbished before, are the warranty and product just as good as new?

Newegg.com does not test any product, including Refurbish items. Refurbish components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISH PRODUCTS. Refurbish items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

Newegg.com guarantees all refurbish products for 15 days. CPUs, however, must be returned within 7 days for refund. All refurbish merchandise should be considered OEM "barebone" parts. Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, no other accessories. Despite what the product's description indicates, refurbish merchandise may not include all of the accessories mentioned on our website or the manufacturers. Newegg.com is therefore limited to the barebone part of the item itself. Please do not be upset or surprised if a refurbish product does not contain any cables, manual, software, drivers, fan, et al. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if it is an essential part.

Newegg.com certainly does not like to discourage sales, but only experienced pc enthusiasts should consider refurbish items that know how to deal with possibly missing accessories. Please only purchase refurbish products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to obtain missing accessories.

Refurbish items are not for dealers. We therefore reserve the right to cancel any applicable orders which may violate this warning. We are simply discouraging those who want to take advantage of this program as it is aimed towards the end user.

Refurbish products do have considerable higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISH PRODUCTS.

In that case, can you recommend new products for under $100? :)

Since this is going to my work machine, I'd like to be able to get full warranty (just in case).

Ok, narrowing it down some more.

I'd like to have a min of 128 megs, DX9 compatible, and 64 bit would be nice.

How about this?
MSI FX5600XT-VTDR128 GeForce FX5600 XT AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out, DVI, VIVO & Remote Retail

Lemme give my $0.02... :)
MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "FX5600XT-VTDR128" -RETAIL
Wouldn't do this one, notice the 64-bit memory bus? Yeah, suckage :)

MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-TD128" -RETAIL
The 5700's with the full 128bit memory interface were decent performers and sometimes overclocked well. Unfortunately, the LE models were "underclocked" samples, so you may want to tweak on the clockspeed to get it where you really want it.

Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9550 Video Card, 128MB DDR,128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GC-R9550GU-C3" -RETAIL
This is a severely underclocked 9500Pro (250 core, DDR200 memory) which is often bundled with VIVO features. I'd stray away from this one mostly because of it's pretty low performance...

CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL
The 9600np card is pretty decent performer and a decent overclocker. It's only four pixel pipelines, but ATI's 0.13nm process overclocks quite well in nearly all cases...

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ATLANTIS RADEON 9600" -RETAIL
I think I would prefer this one myself; I'm a Sapphire **** ;) I've owned five different Sapphire ATI boards in the last few years, and I've loved every one of them. Two of them did die, but that was because of my extensive warranty-voiding modifications ;)

ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL
This one isn't even worthy to be on the list with the rest of these; it's WAY down on the food chain. Every other card in this list is at least DX9-capable, this one is not.

Thanks for your opinion Albuquerue.

And are the 9600SE better or worst than the 9600? Specifically the Xtasy 9600SE compared to the Sapphire 9600?

iqwertyi said:
Thanks for your opinion Albuquerue.

And are the 9600SE better or worst than the 9600? Specifically the Xtasy 9600SE compared to the Sapphire 9600?

General rule of thumb with Ati is that is has the "SE" logo then SE stands for "Sucky edition" or whatever creatve negative word you want to use in place of sucky. The SE model only has a 64 bit bus width while the regular 9600 has a full 128 bit bus width. You'll notice a hefty performance increase with the 128 bit bus width. I'd stay away from the SE models if you have the option of getting a non SE model.

Thanks Aeon Flux,

looks like Sapphire's ATI 9600 is the winner. I'll be placing my order tomorrow, please let me know if there is a better one than this at a similar price range. Other than that, it sounds like a winner.

I bought a refurb Sapphire 9600 from newegg after being a nvidia user for so long. I couldn't be happier with this card! Install was a breeze and performance was better than expected for a card this price. You won't be dissappointed.

Thanks again for all the inputs.

I was checking some 256 MB cards (and I've read it helps with CAD?), and came up on these two chipsets. The Radeon 9600 and the nVIDIA FX5700LE. The cards are just slightly above $100 so I can swing for them if it's worthy.

Theres the:
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ATLANTIS RADEON 9600" -RETAIL

CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP, Model "SA5700L" -RETAIL

AOpen nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-DV256" -RETAIL

APOLLO nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, 8X AGP Model "BLOODY MONSTER 3 GEFORCE FX 5700LE" -RETAIL

All these are under $110. And what's the difference between the Retail 9600 and the OEM 9600? They are going for the same price.

looking at the specs, it looks like the 9600 has a higher clock speed than the 5700LE (325MHz vs. 250MHz). Looks like the 9600 is the winner.

OK, this may be a really dumb question, but for less than $10 more, why would I not go with the 256MB vs the 128MB Sapphire?

Thanks, but I'd like to buy a new one since it will be for work and they like warranties.

Here's another question, how come a 256MB version of the 9600 doesn't show up on the ATI site? Is this something that Sapphire has created on their own, added another 128 MB?

Back