• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800gt vs x800pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

Ok, I know this is the kind of question that is asked a lot, but I need to know. I currently can preorder the two from a store(i think the x800 are available but not the gt only preorder) Anyway, I know the gt runs better on doom3 so I was gonna buy this one, but then I read that gabe newell said the x800 series outperformed the 6800 by 30% in hl2(on ign's website) and I plan on playing hl2 cs: source, but I know a lot of games are gonna use the d3 gfx motor. What should I buy?
Thanks
TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy143 said:
Ok, I know this is the kind of question that is asked a lot, but I need to know. I currently can preorder the two from a store(i think the x800 are available but not the gt only preorder) Anyway, I know the gt runs better on doom3 so I was gonna buy this one, but then I read that gabe newell said the x800 series outperformed the 6800 by 30% in hl2(on ign's website) and I plan on playing hl2 cs: source, but I know a lot of games are gonna use the d3 gfx motor. What should I buy?
Thanks
TheNewGuy
depends on what games you wanna play. the nvidia's made sure that their cards worked better on doom and ati is making sure their cards will play better on hl2 and whatever else comes with it (cs:source, etc.) honestly, i think its bunch of bull when you have to spend all this money to play these games for like what 3 mos hardcore? i think the market has to take a look at whats economically viable. :mad:

personally I would buy the card that has the best performance on the largest amount of games. I want overall high performance on most games.

Their both excellent cards, so you can't "go wrong". ATI did just release a new beta driver today that's supposed to optimize performance in Doom 3. From what I've read, a lot of people who have switched to this new driver are experiencing performance increases.

Some games are simply going to be optimized for certain cards, whether this is right or not. But you really can't go wrong with either of these. A lot of it comes down to preference and experiences with past cards from either brand.

i wanna see somebody rig up two agp slots on their mobo and have a 6800ultra and a x800xt and be able to swap them depending on what game they were playing...holy smokes

The GT at the present time has the advantage in doom 3 , and it is faster in other games more often than the X800 Pro . The X800Pro of course is set to do better in HL2 based games than the 6800GT does in Doom3 however . So it leaves a little dilemma HL2 ( not out yet ) or Doom3 . What is important is that either choice is very very good even in the games in which it loses to the other . The X800Pro is quieter , cooler , shorter , only uses 1 slot and takes less voltage/wattage , so those are definitely bonuses for ATI .

But with all of that said ,:

Stock : I'd go with the 16 pipeline PixelShader 3.0 6800GT over the 12 pipeline Pixelshader 2.0b X800Pro .

Overclocked : Once I have a decent power supply and cooling method , I'd again choose the 6800GT .

*Modded : Once one is willing to take the risk of modding then the current batch of X800Pro cards would be the choice since they mod to the far superior 16 pipline beast the X800XT PE fairly easily .

So if you want to risk a mod then go X800Pro , no modding ......... 6800GT .

Hope that helps .

You cant really go wrong with either. I have a GT and think its "ok" in most games, but I still cant play games at max resolution with AA or AF because the frame rate drops too much. There's no way your going to play a new game like FarCry or Doom3 at max resolution and details...forget it, it isnt going to happen unless you like slide shows. If I cant do it then there's no way you will with the rig in your sig. So that leaves the question of what's "realistic" performance you can expect with your rig. Old games, like MOHAA or Call of Duty, will fly and be playable at hi res and detail, but still you wont find 1600x1200 enjoyable. New games like FarCry and Doom3 are most playable at 1024 x 768 with max details. You can go higher res but then the details have to be moved down if you want smooth frame rates (for me that's 40 fps as a minimum, you might be fine with less).
As far as the X800 Pro I dont have one but I can tell you most reviews trade leads between the Pro and the GT depending on the game. That's why I have an XT-PE on order, I'm still not fully satisfied with the GT so after the XT-PE arrives and I get some play time I will sell the one that is less desirable....

6800GT.
So far the best performance for games already published AND
has good solid linux drivers, just in case you want to ditch M$ one day......

CN

Back