• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this safe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

i overclocked my video card and it is stable but when i play delta force i see artifacts but this dosent happen with halo of far cry.the overclock increased my frame rate greatly when playing far cry and halo. my question is, is it safe to turn off the overclock every tim ei play delta force and turn it on every time i play halo or far cry?

I think you should lower your overclock, sometimes you may not see or notice some artifact in the other games. What card are you using, what is your oc and is there any extra cooling?

im using a ati 9200se (LOL) clocked to 215/137. this is my first time overclocking so i used the 9200 as a gueina pig instead of my 9800. the stock specs are 200/133.i replaced the stock heat sink with a fan heat sink combo and ram sinks the side of my case is off too.im surprised i see artifacts in delta force at such a low overclock.

heres a picture of one of the artifacts that flash on the maps as i walk.
artifact.jpg

Are you sure that is artifact? this is an example of artifact http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=318242 . make sure the game is updated. Artifacts usually is like that one from the picture in the link or like snow, little white spots all over the screen and sometimes you'll see a checkboard effect. Those things look like bugs that I used to have playng midtown madness 2 on my old geforce 2 mx200.

many of those appear about every 3 seconds. what ever they are thet dissapear when i move the settings back to stock. btw. i appreciate that you just didnt say " throw that card away over clock your 9800" like what the other forums say.

No it's a good idea to start out with a cheaper card so you can learn how to oc without taking the risk of destroying a $200 card, I myself had a fx5200 and a guine pig, the sad thing is that I tried so hard to kill it but it never did. You could download atitool and use the "scan for artifact" feature and see if it does find anything, it has this 3d thing on the side that heats up the gpu so if your having artifacts it will probably find it.

The texture ripping. Just means your OC is too high, just slowly start to back it down by like, 3-5mhz, then game until it stops. And then you will have your OC.

ok i will try that. what do you thing of the cooling? the heat sink never gets warm so i guess the fan is doing its job and the ram sinks are just skin warm while gaming. how about the capacitors are those suppose to be hot?

Artifacts like that are usually caused by the memory being too hot or overclocked too high. GPU artifacts usually apear as "dust", black or white dots or a checkerboard effect. You should raise the GPU or mem as high as possible, and then raise the other until you see artifacts. Then take a few MHz off and you have your highest OC.

By the way, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!! :D

ok..
i over clocked the GPU and mem just 1mhz higher than stock and the "artifacts" where still coming out. which brings me back to my original queston. is it safe that i turn off the overclock when i play delta force and after i play DF turn it on when i play halo or far cry? cause overclocking it improved my frame rate ALOT when playing far cry and halo.

You shouldn't have a problem doing that, ATItool can clock your card lower for 2d and then higher for 3d so I don't see why you can't do that...

yeah changing your overclock on a per-game basis won't hurt anything. To make things as simple as possible, download RadLinker and it will allow you to create custom settings for each game, incuding what clock and mem speeds you want to run when the game starts. should save you a lot of time.

It's really weird that it won't even do a 1MHz OC. That 9200 must have some really poor memory (which I agree is the cause of the specific artifact you are seeing)! Yes, it will be fine to remove the overclock just for Delta Force. However, be warned that if it artifacts in one game at those speeds, it's probably not too good for the memory to be running that fast in other games. I'd definatly also see what ATITool says when you run the Scan For Artifacts tests too.

JigPu

Back