• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

points, how are they figured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jess1313

Like it said, how do they figure the pionts. In the list I see people with alot more WUs than me but I have more points. Sometimes when I finish a WU I think I am going to get alot & I get few & the other way around.

Just wandering would like to get the most out of my rigs, I am held back to three for now until I get my shop moved. After this I shoud be able to get 6to10 going(if I can stand the heat)

Thanx

WUs are benchmarked on a PC at stanford. AFAIK its a P4 2.8GHz rig. The points are then set depending on how long this rig takes to complete the WU.

It is benchmarked without any of the flags used just so you know, so with forcesse obviously it will fold faster, so theres a good chance that using advmethods will allow you to get more gromacs which should get you more points

Stanford uses a P4 2.8 with HT off to now to benchmark wu's. In the past it was a 500 mhz celeron for benching. The reason why there are folks out there with far more wu's and less points is the structure of how the points are calculated has changed sever times. When I started folding in march of '02, there were no gromacs wu's, only tinkers. The largest tinker unit was worth 10 points and would take 20 hours on a xp @1800 mhz to fold (bout 60 percent longer on a P4 of equal clock) A very common project at the time though, was a tinker that took 6 hours on same rig and was worth .6 points. That 1.8 ghz rig on average would bang out about 70-80 ppw which at the time was kickin arse. Then gromacs were introduced, which kinda horked everything up for the points system. The gromacs core allows for far greater efficiency in the amount of work that can be accomplished per clock cycle, and could take advantage of SSE instructions. This resulted in stanford at first making gromacs worth far more in points per hour than tinkers. Then stanford came out with huge tinkers, and increased the pph there although still not equal to gromacs. and lately stanford raised the tinkers to nearly equal gromacs in terms of points per hour. in the interest of trying to not **** off anyone, any time there was a change in the points system, the pph would always be moved up. so wu's that take a set time are worth far more than say 2 years ago. It kinda screwed the folks who folded early on who folded many wu's but got few points. But at least now, the work is fairly even as far as pph go and is getting closer every time they make a change. I hope this helps explain it bit although i left quite a few things out along the way.

Back