• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get above 60 FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntonioBanderas

Disabled
I cannot get above 60 frames per second in ANY game at all. It has been this way for a while even with my old video cards. What is causing this and how the hell do I fix it?

AntonioBanderas said:
I cannot get above 60 frames per second in ANY game at all. It has been this way for a while even with my old video cards. What is causing this and how the hell do I fix it?

run your monitor above 60 hz and turn off vsync.

theELVISCERATOR said:
run your monitor above 60 hz and turn off vsync.

if you run the monitor above 60 Hz you will get more fps. 60 Hz = 60 frames per second. 85 Hz = 85 frames per second. OR you can turn off "vertical sync" which should be a graphics card setting somehwere. vertical sysc or v-sync is in some in-game menus too. But once you turn it off in your display properties you should be fine and the card will try to put out as many frames as possible. You don't have to increase refresh rate and turn off v sync just one or the other.

i really notice a difference when vsync is on and off....i get higher framerates with it off but it looks nasty when im close to walls and stuff in games

I'm using an old IBM T55D monitor with 60hz and my CRT is an old KDS with 60hz since my old NEC died. Aka, my monitors suck donkey balls. What can I do to increase my FPS with these poopy monitors? Doom 3 looks like *** without vsync apparently. I can't even find drivers for this monitor anymore.

i would save up for a new monitor, you have a highend rig, but can't really enjoy it visually because your monitor won't let you, 60hz is horrible and gives alot people headaches and aching eyes, one thing you could do it try upping the refresh rate past specs or above 60hz maybe buy disabling the "hide rates not supported by monitor" under your monitor tab in advanced settings in display settings, also under the Nvidia tab there is also a override refresh rates page

Ok, explain this to me in redneck terms.

Monitor, set for said rate, can only generate said rate of frames per second.
GPU can generate x fps.
Whats the point of greater fps than what the monitor can allow.
This would lead to tearing, and the scene being changed before the monitor can even complete it.

I run at 60,85 or 100, depending on the game, vsync on, never have any issues with it. Worst yet, how about this yahoos with lcd screens, they aint never gonna see anything but 75 at best.

austinbmxnig said:
i really notice a difference when vsync is on and off....i get higher framerates with it off but it looks nasty when im close to walls and stuff in games

Yup.

Syx told me that LCDs will not limit the framerates that are shown. He says it is either a hardware or a game problem. Personally, I think he is talking out of his ***. Can someone clarify this please?

wat game are u playing??????? i have heard Doom 3 has a 60FPS cap like calll of duty has.......is this true?

fyi response time and refresh rate on a lcd monitor are entirely different things. for an lcd monitor, refresh rate is only the rate at which the video card sends data to the lcd. response time on the other hand is how fast the pixels turn on and off. that is the most important aspect to look for on an lcd monitor. on the other hand, crt monitors refresh rate is also how fast the video card sends data to the monitor, but ALSO how fast the monitor redraws the image. you'll notice that at 60 Hz, the crt monitor has a tendency to flicker.

oh and read the sticky on lcd terms in the imaging and display forum. that's what they're there for

REFRESH RATE ON LCD OR CRT IS THE SAME THING

EASY WAY OF THINKING ABOUT IT

60Hz is 60 frames per second
85Hz is 85 frames per second

Since LCD's dont have phospors to degrade, they tend to stay at 60 or 75 tops.

This goes back to my question, why does anyone want to exceed their monitor's refresh rate for FPS. Your card is rendering data, you will never see.

darthdana said:
60Hz is 60 frames per second
85Hz is 85 frames per second

Since LCD's dont have phospors to degrade, they tend to stay at 60 or 75 tops.

oh oh its not just the person aboves one comment which is slightly wrong its a lot of commenst which are either wrong or give incomplete information.

A LCD never goes above 75Hz or 60Hz for various reasons. they dont flicker at 60Hz like crt monitors do, which causes headache and eye strain. so there is NO need to have high Hz on an LCD. another problems is that with DVI standart there is not enough bandwith to display high resolutions and high refresh rates at the same time. 1280x1024 at 60Hz is x data while at 85Hz is a lot more data. DVI is great but sucks for data bandwith. I read over 1 year ago that there is supposed to be a new standart being implemented but it still has not happend. not a happy bunny I am.

No must people run their CRT monitors at least at 75Hz and any resolution or normally 85Hz because it gets rid of flickering. Unfortunatly in windows whne you start a full 3d app windows decides that the Hz for any monitor at any resolution should be capped at 60Hz. You can fix this issue with a programme called Refore or even (maybe) with your graphics card drives or other programs.

VSync is when your Graphics card only does enough FPS to fill your Monitors Hz range. (PS thats why windows decides to make all monitors 60Hz when 3d apps (games) run). So you get 60Fps and 60Hz. most opengl games are capped at 60Fps but often there is an option to override this. With VSync off you graphcis card tries to render as many FPS as possible. So you could get 100Fps on a 60Hz monitor... often this cause tearing and display problems in games. Oh yeah and because most games are capped at 60Hz you need to tweak some settings in the game to uncap that 60Fps limit.
Vsync on normally means 60Hz. never heard of anything else.

ok. Running your monitor at an resolution with a refresh rate higher then allowed for that resolution will either work and damage your monitor over time, say in windows it works but when you check your monitor OSD it still runs at the default Hz or the monitor comes up with a message saying "Out of scan range" which means it wont display any picture at that Resolution and refresh rate cause it would damage the monitor.

what else....

oh yeah I think OpenGL is acctually capped at 60Hz! but developers can overwritte that.

Get a new monitor.

germanjulian said:
oh oh its not just the person aboves one comment which is slightly wrong its a lot of commenst which are either wrong or give incomplete information.

A LCD never goes above 75Hz or 60Hz for various reasons. they dont flicker at 60Hz like crt monitors do, which causes headache and eye strain. so there is NO need to have high Hz on an LCD. another problems is that with DVI standart there is not enough bandwith to display high resolutions and high refresh rates at the same time. 1280x1024 at 60Hz is x data while at 85Hz is a lot more data. DVI is great but sucks for data bandwith. I read over 1 year ago that there is supposed to be a new standart being implemented but it still has not happend. not a happy bunny I am.

No must people run their CRT monitors at least at 75Hz and any resolution or normally 85Hz because it gets rid of flickering. Unfortunatly in windows whne you start a full 3d app windows decides that the Hz for any monitor at any resolution should be capped at 60Hz. You can fix this issue with a programme called Refore or even (maybe) with your graphics card drives or other programs.

VSync is when your Graphics card only does enough FPS to fill your Monitors Hz range. (PS thats why windows decides to make all monitors 60Hz when 3d apps (games) run). So you get 60Fps and 60Hz. most opengl games are capped at 60Fps but often there is an option to override this. With VSync off you graphcis card tries to render as many FPS as possible. So you could get 100Fps on a 60Hz monitor... often this cause tearing and display problems in games. Oh yeah and because most games are capped at 60Hz you need to tweak some settings in the game to uncap that 60Fps limit.
Vsync on normally means 60Hz. never heard of anything else.

ok. Running your monitor at an resolution with a refresh rate higher then allowed for that resolution will either work and damage your monitor over time, say in windows it works but when you check your monitor OSD it still runs at the default Hz or the monitor comes up with a message saying "Out of scan range" which means it wont display any picture at that Resolution and refresh rate cause it would damage the monitor.

what else....

oh yeah I think OpenGL is acctually capped at 60Hz! but developers can overwritte that.

Get a new monitor.

ok beavis, so if my monitor is at 60Hz, how many times is the screen drawn by the electron gun?

if the lcd matrix only changes at 60Hz, thats how many changes a second?

60, Beavis, so how is that wrong.

DVI spec actually has the bandwidth needed, its just not followed by the video card makers, Nvidia with dual link for the 30 inch mac monitor (and the card can drive 2 of those, no less), my HD TV is another that comes to mind (and its got room for encryption too, boo).

Back