• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S478 -> LGA775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zebbo

Mushkin Tech Rep
Well, I give it a thought to change my current system to new one. I thought if I'd sell my motherboard, cpu and graphic card (can be founded at my signature) and put some more money to it and then buy next system:
Abit AG8-3rd Eye
Intel P4 LGA775 520 2,8GHz Prescott
PCI-E Graphic card (Don't know which one yet, so give me suggestions)
2x256mb A-Data DDR566 ram sticks

But is it worth of it? Are these LGA775 Prescotts as hot as it's Socket 478 brothers? And of course I'm going to overclock so seems like there's no problem to get to 3.6GHz(faster than 3.6GHz Northwood) with that kind of system. Give me all good suggestions about this, everything is more than welcome. I also read that Intel as launched it's P4 64-bits CPUs, so should I just wait these new ones?

About Intel Pentium 4 EM64T here

i would wait for the 64bits :) i mean your computer right now is pretty good...

i read an article somewhere where the a64 may be on the new 775 chips already,i didnt pay much attention as i knew mine wasnt included.

honestly id keep you system for now.UNLESS you want a new toy,as i for one understand that need for new toys.but for normal purposes its gonna be a headache and a pain.

one its gonna run hot a prescott is a prescott,but the mobos will be able to handle them much better,thats teh only reason i would consider it myeslf.

its gonna be buggy and we will see many revisions on the mobos go by fast.many times a plain bios update just cant fix all issues.

mods and help is gonna be limited,1 not many experianced ocers are buying into this yet.2 not as many oc intel so that cuts the numbers of people who help way down also.had it been amd i wouldnt been so worried.
so its mainly is this a want? i dont see this being a need?
if you think you need it,rethink it.
if you think you want a new toy,buy it :)

At the present time I would hold whatever system that you now have if it was built within the last 12-16 months. (I say this because I build a new system every 24-30 months and I am halfway through the cycle. I also say this because the industry is in a period of uncertain transition and the future course in numerous areas is not clear.) I think that saving your money and playing the wait and see game will prove worth it in the long run.

beau_zo_brehm said:
I'll be able to prove that the LGA775 kicks *** when my parts come in on monday ;)

What system did you bought? Give me some test results so I try to compare them to my own and see what conclusion I finally put myself. :)

Zebbo said:
What system did you bought? Give me some test results so I try to compare them to my own and see what conclusion I finally put myself. :)

i'll tell u what i can remember off the top of my head....

Abit AA8 Duramax
3.2 ghz lga775 p4
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 pc-5300 (667 mhz) 512*2 :drool:
Asus Radeon x600 xt pci-e

its goin to be watercooled and OCed hopefully to 4 ghz..... :attn:

Back