• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how hot are 9800pros supposed to run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

i just got a 9800pro from circuit city 2 days ago. i felt the back of the core after playing ut2004 and it's burning hot. im still on the stock hs and thermal pad. are these cards supposed to run hot? im waiting for the new vga silencer , but i might just get rev3 if they dont hurry up and release it to the us.

drewthomas14 said:
i just got a 9800pro from circuit city 2 days ago. i felt the back of the core after playing ut2004 and it's burning hot. im still on the stock hs and thermal pad. are these cards supposed to run hot? im waiting for the new vga silencer , but i might just get rev3 if they dont hurry up and release it to the us.

They can get kinda toasty if you're a hardcore gamer.... the stock hsf on most 9800pros is garbage, and the big wad of thermal gum you probably have under the heatsink isn't gonna help much. From what I've read 9800pro's should be somewhere between 60-80°C. My flashed/overclocked 9800pro sits around 55°C using the VGA Silencer rev3.

yeah , both my 9700pros were kinda toasty. u think i have a bad 9800pro , or is it just normal to run pretty hot? i havent had any artifacts . i know the stock hs is a pos. it's so tiny. i'm just waiting for a online store to stock the new silencer.

they run hot. vga rev2 rocks on it it runs 3dmark looped 6 times and it warms it... you know a pleasently warm. i dont know what that would be in C. less the 100F at 412/365

Back