• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

Ok, I have been wondering, I see and hear people running 3v+ through the mem, and was wondering how freakin hot do their sticks get? Cause at 2.7v, mine are quite warm. How hot is too hot? :mad:

most people running 3+ are people w/ BH-5/6, and some w/ Tm -5bc(3700eb), or even hynix d5(usually 4200, and 4400). but you should be ok with up to 2.9-3.0 depenting on your exacly whats on your ram, without a fan. i have run bh-6 at 3.3 w/out a fan for quiet some time w/ out probs, i this the hottest it got was 50c ish. but would try to keep it under 45ish if possible, an 80mm fan works great, or even a good 60mm. but really you should be fine at 2.7 w/out a fan or even 2.9.

do you know what IC's your ram has.

BTW 45c is quiet hot to the touch, remember 38c is about 100f, so 45 is 113c, and to a human hand that can seem pretty warm.

ps have any way of mesuring temp?

I can get a sensor that would be able to give a more precise reading than, ooh thats pretty warm. But as far as what IC's the mem has, I have not ever taken the ramsinks off, so I wouldnt be able to tell you that. I plan on getting good reading maybe tomorrow or sunday, cause I wonder how hot it is gettin.

my ram is barly warm to the touch @ 240 fsb with no fans right over it with 3 volts to the ram.

so, i consider if its hot, then you need cooling. if it burns you, your lucky your computer is running.

Most ram can run 70-90C without many problems. If it gets to the point where the ram starts to have problems you will know because it will start to error or freeze up. If your worried point a fan over them and be done with it

Back