• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What channel does built in SATA connections use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

I have 1 SATA connection and I was wondering what channel does it use? Does it use the PCI bus, IDE bus or does it talk directly to the southbridge? Would I have better performance buying a PCI SATA card and using the PCI bus?

i am not sure what channel that it uses, but i don think it uses pci or ide. as far as i know onboard Sata should be good enough for you to use without buying extra sata controller card. currenly, the hard drives that's being made has not exceeded the speed of the bus yet, therefore i don think it would be nessaccery to buy new controller w/o speed gain.

The SATA controller, like many other integrated devices, is attached directly to the southbridge. Your best performance will be to use the onboard controller's dedicated bandwidth.

Back