• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend: vidcard for a non-gamer....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FATAL ENIGMA

I am seriously considering the MSI 9800 Pro and have kind of gotten caught up in the Doom3 hype I think. I'm not much into PC games, havent played one since DukeNukem but would like to try FarCry, Doom3 etc. and would might play some from time to time and I may love it and play quite a bit (possible since it will be all new to me again).

Would you recommend that I still buy the MSI 9800 Pro @ $196 from newegg or is that really much more than I need considering what I stated above? If you wouldnt buy it considering what I said, what would you recommend to me in place of it?

I currently have a Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model64 :rolleyes: and yes I know it overly outdated x10 :) . I am upgrading my ancient PC though to an NF7-S, 2600-M to overclock and a few other things to go with it.

So what say ye.....? :cool:

u can get the sapphire one for about the same price and might be able to flash it to a 9800XT bios if it has a R360 core but yeah the MSI one should do just fine

hmm, well the 9800pro would be great...but if your not gonna play many games and want to save a little cash, try to find a used ti4200. It doesn't have DX9 so you won't get all the new eye candy, but you can find em for 50-60 on newegg refurbs.
IMO there are no good mid ranged cards out there right now. The 9600 series is a crippled card and perfoms just as good in DX8 as the ti4200, and doesn't have enough power to run DX9 smoothly so it's pointless (again my opinion).
The 9700/9800 np or p are good cards, if you look around you can get them really cheap. I bought a 9700p (which performs almost exactly like a 9800np) for 120 bucks.

So, in closing, the 9800p is a good choice if you want to spend the money, if you want to save a little try finding a used 9700/9800np or p or if you want to spend as little as possible but still be able to play the games at a decent fps rate with less eye candy, the ti4200 is your card.

If you plan to buy a new system in 6 months or so I'll agree with ajrettke and say buy a Ti4200. If you are stuck with your current system for a year or more then go with the 9800pro. I have a Sapphire one and it performs great.

thanks for the replies, yes I will be stuck with this system for a while since I am upgrading it right now with mobo/cpu/hsf/psu etc. I guess I'll just go with the 9800 pro, that way I wont have to worry about it and can play games if I want

thanks guys...

Back