• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems w/ Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

My friend's having a problem playing games and doesn't know what it is. Here's everything he's told me.

Ok, here’s the deal. Basically, Star Wars Galaxies and various others games give me a black screen most of the time. When they do show me something, I get a bunch of rainbow graphical distortions but no actual picture.

Morrowind seems to run fine. No problems at all as far as I can tell. I was getting small distortions, in the form of warped polygons stretching across the screen. Conversation were tending to start, but then I couldn’t leave or talk at all, no goodbye button, and escape only made the window go off and on.

I have uninstalled and reinstall multiple drivers. I have about 6 sets of omega drivers on my computer, and I have tried using the very latest official ones. All of this with no change except for the Morrowind problem being solved. I have used regcleaner after I uninstall and before I reinstall drivers. I also check for spare ati files. None of this has helped with the problem.

My specs: P3 850, Radeon 8500 64MB, 448 SDRAM, yamaha ds-xg legacy sound card (out of production yes, but I can't afford everything) old mother board from an xps t500 model.

Any idea what's wrong with his system? If you need more info, just tell me and I'll ask him.

i really have no clue but i will take a shot..... if drivers wont fix it, did you check to make sure the card is not overheating? maybe like a CPU... when the temp goes up weird stuff starts to happen.... just my .02

also... his specs are not THAT bad.... p3 850 is still a ok chip for %90 of stuff heck, at the middle and elementry school i work at... the students still use P3 450's in many classrooms and in the computer labs at the elementry, they still work fine and do there job... they wont be upgraded for 2 more years.

Well, warped polygons is usually a sign of faulty/overheating/too-overclocked VRAM. What kind of cooling is on the 8500? Also, how long has this been happening? Is there any other event you can think of that occured around the same time it started?

JigPu

Back