• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't bear it any longer. I must get a widescreen LCD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daba

I went into CrapUSA the other day and for some reason the 21-24'' widescreens just snagged me. I can't stand looking at my 1800FP or my 17'' Hyundai anymore.

Which one would you recommend? Widescreen, 20-some inches. It can't be too outrageously priced either. (Keep it under $1500, if possible)

I was looking into the new Apple Cinema displays. 23'' and 30'' are out of the question, but I can get an educational discount for the 20'' Cinema Display for $1170 shipped. What do you folks think?

That would be an excellent choice. If I wasn't so broke I'd think about putting some money into one of those cinema displays. Every time I go into CompUSA I sit down in front of one for a bit and drool.

Isn't the Viewsonic the same as the Dell2001FP? I've heard nothing but bad things about the 2001FP.

Neither of those are widescreen. I wold suggest going for either the hp 23" (it uses the same panel as the 23" apple/sony(the new 16ms sony)). Or just go for the 20" apple cinema display. Sure 4:3 aspect ratio monitors may be wider than your current 5:4 ones, but they are nowhere near as sexy as 16:9 monitors. Unless you wanna play more games, then for for the viewsonic/dell2001fp for games. For movies and your desktop the 213t is better.

i believe the apple cinema displays take a certain type of adapter which is not common on video cards - so you'll need a dongle. check up on that before you buy one. they are gorgeous though aren't they?

Looks like I'm going to get a Dell 2001FP from a local. Going to check it out to see how it is before buying.

daba... i was looking to get the new 30" apple cinema display, but found out that the only video card that could power it was $1700 so I decided on a dualie - dell 2001fp combo.

I got it since it's a decent deal at $749 each for a 20 inch lcd... this is basically to hold me over til i find a cheaper solution to power the 30" apple CD .

So far, i must say the quality is not bad. Not as bright a Cinema display, but the picture quality is sharp and clean. Playing games, dont notice any ghosting either..

Here are some pics...
dellfp2001.JPG

dual.JPG

Nice setup... Its identical to mine... I even have the same mx duo... (but i have the logitech z680s)

I personally don't think i'll be looking for an upgrade to my current setup... i'm very happy with them.

OK. I got a 2001FP. Going to test it out come this Monday! I had a chance to get two but that's way out of my budget.

I'm heavily considering the Apple cinema displays as well. With a student discount the 23" comes out to 1799 USD.

One thing that I like about the Cinema displays is that you can take them off the stand and mount them on the wall.

I've read the specs as presented on apple.com and have tried to searching online for reviews with the new cinema displays on PC's, etc with no luck. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play the occasional game but if I spend that much money on a LCD I'd want it to do well whenever I do.

Any one read any reviews on the new cinema displays used with PC video cards?

FunkyTechnician said:
I'm heavily considering the Apple cinema displays as well. With a student discount the 23" comes out to 1799 USD.

One thing that I like about the Cinema displays is that you can take them off the stand and mount them on the wall.

I've read the specs as presented on apple.com and have tried to searching online for reviews with the new cinema displays on PC's, etc with no luck. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play the occasional game but if I spend that much money on a LCD I'd want it to do well whenever I do.

Any one read any reviews on the new cinema displays used with PC video cards?

The new sony (not old) and hp 23" displays use the same 16ms panel (not the older sony so be careful when looking for reviews for the sony). The HP is 1500 at newegg and its the same thing, only I am not sure if it wall mounts.

Back