• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who wants to borg this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice....I am not even going to dream about doing it since it is VERY unlikely, but it could do wonders for our production.

One problem is, Itaniums are 64bit only, not 64/32 backwards compatible like the Athlon 64, would folding even run? Also, Itaniums are nice CPU's, they have huge L2 cache, but folding does not really take advantage of L2 cache, so would 10,200 Itaniums be more like borging 5,000 P4's? Either way...that is still quite a bit of folding power. :drool:

FizzledFiend said:
too bad they screwed up with the Intel part...oh well it's NASA for christs sakes.

In the 3 years I worked there (NASA Ames Research Center @Moffett):
The Challenger exploded (btw the crew probably survived the explosion and died impacting the Atlantic).
The Hubble "spherical aberration" fiasco (built next door @ Lockeed).
The Open Throat Windtunnel (@Ames), just refurbished and upgraded, suffered a computer glitch, closed the weather vanes while the 60' fans were still spinning, and sucked 'em through the blades.
The Loma Prietta earthquake showed that the brand new Verticle Motion Simulator (flight simulator on steroids) wasn't earthquake safe. Had to earthquake retrofit a <2 year old building located in a major earthquake zone - sheesh.

Luckily I wasn't working on any of those projects.

Last edited:
squirrel said:
In the 3 years I worked there (NASA Ames Research Center @Moffett):
The Challenger exploded (btw the crew probably survived the explosion and died impacting the Atlantic).
The Hubble "spherical aberration" fiasco (built next door @ Lockeed).
The Open Throat Windtunnel (@Ames), just refurbished and upgraded, suffered a computer glitch, closed the weather vanes while the 60' fans were still spinning, and sucked 'em through the blades.
The Loma Prietta earthquake showed that the brand new Verticle Motion Simulator (flight simulator on steroids) wasn't earthquake safe. Had to earthquake retrofit a >2 year old building located in a major earthquake zone - sheesh.

Luckily I wasn't working on any of those projects.

all with the help of Intel procs I bet :p wonder what OS they were using?

It would be awesome to borg that. I imagine one heck of a one-click would need to be assembled for it but would be worth it for the production.

Well now, hold the phone a sec ...

The linked news article went to great length to tout the fact that this thing was built with off the shelf parts. Ten thousand itaniums ... two or maybe four sticks of RAM for each CPU ... 20K - 40K sticks of RAM ... seems like a lot.

Does anyone know what production rates are for DDR?

Back