• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

simply ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thehandler

Registered
The prices out there on the Geforce 3 and 3 Ultra are just crazy. When compared to falling prices of cpus and mb's, hell it costs more to buy a video card than an entire combo of really nice stuff.
Isn't there someone else out there who can provide a lower cost solution with a card that is still considered to be rigtht up there at the top? Mike

lol there is no gf3 ultra, he means the gf2 ultra. The gf3 is a completely different beast to the gf2 and NVidia prob. won't create a gf3 ultra or gf3 gts or pro but instead come out with the gf4.

I think NVidia are going to increase the price for the next card and call it the Geforce 3 Utlra Pricey :)

Rating the cards pole

Perhaps a better way to do this is to ask you guys to rate the top say 5 or so cards in order of performance. This may prove to be very interesting. I run the Radeon 32 DDR card myself and it is a descent card but probably way behind even the Radeon 64 DDR.
Mike

But now people are after the graphic intensive games...if you have a GeForce3 you can couple it with anything down to a Celeron 400 or so and still have awesome graphics. The GPU is now the center stage of most systems...

Re: Rating the cards pole

thehandler said:
Perhaps a better way to do this is to ask you guys to rate the top say 5 or so cards in order of performance. This may prove to be very interesting. I run the Radeon 32 DDR card myself and it is a descent card but probably way behind even the Radeon 64 DDR.
Mike

"performance..."

1--Geforce 3 (overall best at highest resolutions)
2--Geforce 2 Ultra (arguably best at 1024x768 and less)
3--Geforce 2 GTS Pro
4--Radeon 64 DDR
5--Geforce 2 Pro

Those are the ones I see most often, and simply have seen the best benchmarks from. 3+4 are very close, maybe even tied.

There are many things to take into consideration, including price, but for performance and pure frame per second, this is about it.

UnseenMenace said:
I think NVidia are going to increase the price for the next card and call it the Geforce 3 Utlra Pricey :)

ROFL!!! I think NVidia is milking the GeForce 3 "cash cow" and not dropping the prices because of ATI and the new PowerVR chips are gonna be here real soon.

I also agree that we would probably see a new chip (the GeForce marketing name is gone as per NVidia) with a new, flashy named, high priced card..its the name of the game. The interesting part will be watching what happens when the NForce boards go into full swing..will Nvidia keep up the grind? ATI plans on switching to a 3week driver revision schedule, similar to NVidia's current one. The video card market is gonna rock in about 6 months!! Mark my words!!!

Back