• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for an upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

I am having a hard time choosing what I want to upgrade next.
My current rig is:

Athlon XP 2100+ Tbred B (Ocs up to 2.3 ghz with the crappy cooler I have on it now)
Abit NF7-S Rev 1.2
Corsair 3200 XMS 512mb
Albatron ti4200 @ 280/650 with stock cooling 128mb
40 Gb 7200 RPM
Ghetto case (Meaning only the frame, no reset button, and the button for the power came off so I have to rub 2 wires together.

My main concern right now is my Video card, as it seems liek it is a little slow. Not being modest or anything, I do think that is quite the impressive OC.
Anyway, it looks like 9800 NP/Pro's are cheap now, so should I get one of those?
Or would I get better performance out of getting another 512mb of ram.
Oh yeah, I've been out of the loop for awhile- is 256mb o a Video Cad really sueful at all? Is it worth the extra money?
Thanks!

I would do several things. First get a better cooler and crank that XP up some more :).

Two get a new video card, the 9800NP's are very good for the price. I would wait to get a 256mb card when you completely overhaul your system and get a nice PCI-E card. The extra ram is supposed to help at higher quality details in DoomIII, but it will look and play fantastic either way (or so I've heard). Right now, I don't think its worth the extra money.

Other than that I think you're straight, not exactly top o the line, but good enough to play pretty much any game for a while.

Yeah, I didn't see the point in paying the extra when I will be converting to PCI-Ein a while and getting a new card anyway.
Thans for the help!

Back