• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winbond DH-5. Anyone tried these? BH-6 available according to website.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

According to their website, they make DH-5 chips rated at 3.3 Volts and 200MHz.

The status of the BH-6 chips is also showing up as "Available". Is this page not updated or did they start producing them again?

Link to all memory products:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=MP

PDF link to BH-6:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/Memory/w981616bh.pdf
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/Memory/w986416dh.pdf

PDF link to DH-5:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/Memory/w986416dh.pdf
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/Memory/w986432dh.pdf

Something else I noticed was that the DH-5 and BH-6 are both rated at 3.3 Volts, however the BH-6 is only 6ns (166MHz) whereas the DH-5 is 5ns (200MHz). Hopefully this is a good sign.

Hmm. Maybe that's what is in Mushkin Level 2 version 2. Linkage Someone buy some and rip the heatspreaders off. :p

mrspec3 said:
It's samsung TCCD. Winbond no longer makes any IC's for computer memory what so ever

So the Winbond website is wrong and not up to date?

You can still find winbond IC's on the spot market to buy. The thing is that none of the companies feel its a good idea to buy them because yeilds on the remaining chips can varry a great deal so to release a product based on them could loose the companies a LOT of money. bh-5/6 IC's can cost anywhere from $6-10/IC and you almost always have to buy them in 1000 piece chunks........it's a lot of money to loose if you get bad IC's. Basically there are better things out not that meet what the market is looking to buy......so going back to these old things is pointless and to risky

Steve

I've heard 3.3 and 3.6. I'm not sure, but BH-6 is rated for 3.3 as shown in the links from my first post.

Hmm I don't get why BH6 would be "rated" for 3.3v but all DDR sticks that use them defaults to 2.5v...
Makes no sense, BH6 shouldn't be able to work @ even 166Mhz with 2.5v then

hkp0lice said:
Hmm I don't get why BH6 would be "rated" for 3.3v but all DDR sticks that use them defaults to 2.5v...
Makes no sense, BH6 shouldn't be able to work @ even 166Mhz with 2.5v then

Well, if you look at it that way, Hynix D43's were designed to run at DDR400 speeds @ 2.5 volts I believe? But I've got some D43's that do DDR500 speeds at 2.5 volts.

2.4C's can hit 3.2 GHz with default volts.

etc. etc.

There are also many people who have successfully undervolted their CPU's with no problems.

Running something at manufactueres spec is one thing, but we're something else. :)

AudiMan said:
Bad IC's, as in IC's that don't run at spec?

Explain.

Bad IC's can be anything from dead ones to ones that don't run at spec or do the timings the company needs. When you buy off the spot market I'm almost certain that the place you buy from doesn't guarentee all chips will work.....so it's a risk. To relese bh-5 sticks now everyone would be expecting 2-2-2-5 timings and for them to overclock very well....250Mhz @3.1-3.3V which is something not all bh-5/6 chips will do. Different weeks overclock differently so unless you can fun a big batch of chips from a known good week or it's not worth it to start making and testing bh-5/6 PCB's and stuff.

Steve

Well that's pretty dumb on Winbonds part. Not offering a warranty of any sort on bad IC's. Where did you get this info btw?

Where are you finding that "BH-6" is available? Under DDR i only see CH-5's, for the most part, that's all rated for 2.5V. I do see BH-6 under SDRAM, that's rated for 3.3V. All SD-RAM's typical voltage is rated for 3.3V. Therefore, i think you guys are looking @ the SDRAM list instead of the DDR RAM list.

AudiMan said:
Well that's pretty dumb on Winbonds part. Not offering a warranty of any sort on bad IC's. Where did you get this info btw?

Well it's not just winbond. I don't know if any IC maker will say that 100% of all IC's you buy will work....maybe they do, but I've never asked. I know people who know people who I talk to and bug a lot :D

Steve

Chowdy said:
Where are you finding that "BH-6" is available? Under DDR i only see CH-5's, for the most part, that's all rated for 2.5V. I do see BH-6 under SDRAM, that's rated for 3.3V. All SD-RAM's typical voltage is rated for 3.3V. Therefore, i think you guys are looking @ the SDRAM list instead of the DDR RAM list.

I know, that confused me too, but then again, have you ever seen SDRAM that operates at 166/200 MHz?
I'm confused, but I guess I'll drop the topic. I probably won't be buying anything until better revisions of S939 and LGA775 equipment becomes more available.

AudiMan said:
I know, that confused me too, but then again, have you ever seen SDRAM that operates at 166/200 MHz?
I'm confused, but I guess I'll drop the topic. I probably won't be buying anything until better revisions of S939 and LGA775 equipment becomes more available.

lol no i haven't. Have you ever seen DDR RAM rated @ 3.3V? Heh.

I guess that's what makes it so special :)

But I would assume that this would explain why BH-5 loves voltage so much, and it would also explain how people run 3.3 Volts through their BH-5 24/7 for months at a time without any problems.

Back