• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading From A ti4200+, Which Makes Most Sense

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gkeuler8

I currently have a ti4200+, Im looking to upgrade but Im caught between two choices, first off let me state that Im on a budget and that while shelling out the big bucks for a video card is feasible, I would really rather not. My thinking is that with the release of dx9 games, I should upgrade, but is it worth upgrading to a 150$ card with full dx9 Support? (9600XT For example) this would give me full dx9 but wouldnt be a huge upgrade over a 4200. Would it make more sense just to shell out 350+ for a better video card (X800 For example) Im basically searching for the best bang for my buck.

Do you really need to upgrade? If not then it may be worthwhile waiting for the next price drop?

I like what David says...I don't think it'll be worth it to you right now if you upgrade. If you do don't spend $150 on a 9600xt spend $200 on a 9800 pro. I think that is your best bet.

Yeah please don't get the 9600xt. Midrange cards don't ever pay off.
Bought one 4 months ago, only to find out that farcry at 1024*768 is almost too much. get a 9800 pro if you want to upgrade now. If you're lucky, you'll get a 9800xt like me.

I guess my plan will be to buy my new video card when I Buy HL2 and aim for a x800 or 6800 GT Hopefully I will be able to get them then for 250-300 at that time

get a 6800gt if you can, otherwise spend 50 more and get the 9800 pro. As you see my video card is the worst out there and im going with the 6800gt soon =o

tylerhskate said:
get a 6800gt if you can, otherwise spend 50 more and get the 9800 pro. As you see my video card is the worst out there and im going with the 6800gt soon =o

HA! my GF has a radeon moble 7500 with 24 mb of Vram! lol, pathetic.

Back