• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laing D4 with what PS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senater_Cache

Ill be running a DC pump in my next system, it is the Laing D4.
below in the pic is its power curve.
Ill be running it at stock (12v).
Right now I have
this SmartPower400 by Antec.

Will it be sufficient to handle an OC'ed XP-m @1.75v, two 7200rpm HDDs, a Radeon9800Pro on an NF7, a DVD burner and of course the pump ?

help is appreciated..

SenC.

Attachments

• dd12v_power_lg.jpg
    dd12v_power_lg.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 61
That PSU is rated for 18amps on the +12v rail, but as Antecs go probably a bit higher realisticly. Since you won't be running many items that pull much from the +12v rail, I'd say that it should be okay. The cards, cpu and motherboard are going to [AFAIK] take mainly +3.3v & +5v power, and for that its rated at 240watts combined. To be honest, I'd feel MUCH safer spending a few bucks more that what I paid for my pump (in this case, around $60-80) to get a PSU I know will have enough juice. A better PSU is cheaper than fixing a fried moboard, cpu, pump AND getting another PSU. If nothing else, sell the PSU in the classifieds and use that cash to get a 450-550watt PSU.

Bottom line: 30watts is a pretty big drain, and 400(total)-240(3.3v&5v)=less than 160watts left for the +12v rail. Antec is definately better than most, but its not magical...only Harry Potter is ;)

didn't you already ask this question in watercool section and someone already answered your question?

In my humble opinion. Components on computers nowadays require lots of power and therefore I really think getting a 480W or better yet 550W of named brands like Antec and Enermax are your best bet in providing the necessary juice that all the new components require.

If you have doubt about upgrading your PSU. I would definitely see how it goes with the pump once you have things installed. Worse come to worse, you will buy a new PSU anyway if there is not enough juice for your system. If it does work probably with your current 400W, then you just save some money and buy yourself sometime until nextime you add something else to your system. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
yes I posted this here and in WC. I figured there are two sides to it. people who know their PSUs and people who have experience with PSUs and Pumps. (not saying nobody here WCs but you get my point)
---
Arent 480watters of ~$80 going to be rated @ 240-260 just like my antec?
SenC.

well, you have to look at the total amps of each rails. Unknown brands may say 550W but have low amperes thus is useless. Higher quality psu usually have higher amps.

I remember one particular person posted about a cheaper European (12v/220v) 550watt PSU, it was nearly the same as a 350watt but had a rail rated for over 40 amps... Just look for a PSU that's rated over 25amps for the +12v rail. The brand tells you the reliability of the PSU, but the specs will be the deciding factor if you're going to pick one in your particular situation.

HiProfile said:
I remember one particular person posted about a cheaper European (12v/220v) 550watt PSU, it was nearly the same as a 350watt but had a rail rated for over 40 amps... Just look for a PSU that's rated over 25amps for the +12v rail. The brand tells you the reliability of the PSU, but the specs will be the deciding factor if you're going to pick one in your particular situation.

Don't just LOOK at what is written on the PSU spec sheet though. Stick to name brands like PC Power and Cooling, Fortron, Sparkle, Enermax to name a few.

Back