• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v2.0: Scared to boot: Failsafes??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SR-71A

Registered
First post, forgive me if this seems a no-brainer.

After reading the umpteen posts re: the endless 'versions' of this board...

I am scared to death to even boot this and risk losing any hardware, let alone trying to OC it.

Also, the manual on the CDROM is V1.0 and the manual with the retail box is V1.1. Um... does this even pertain to the V2.0 board? The version on the Abit site for d/l is also the V1.1.

Hardware below, no mods to anything (yet).

the string on the mobo (near the 'NF7-S' labeled chip) reads:
RD0020420006067674 NF7-S V2.0

XP 2600+: [Tbred B 333FSB]
AXDA2600DKV3D F368203920258
JIUHB 0337MPM

Asus V8200 T2/Deluxe (GeForce3 64MB DDR)
SB Live! 5.1
30GB 75GXP ATA-100
80GB Barracuda 7200/2MB ATA-133

<cringe> Generic 256MB PC2700 (a gift, so...)

PSU:
output: 3.3V=28A +5V=37A +12V=21A -5V=0.3A -12V=0.8A +5VSB=2.0A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

>1< Should I just boot the board without anything to make sure it even runs?

>2< The CPU/heatsink issue: Is lapping now *necessary* for stability or am I OK with the new AMD Cu heatsink with thermal pad?

>3< I have the GeForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. I realize I have DDR333, am happy if it will run at that [333]FSB. Is the lapping and remount of the NB heatsink necessary or only if I want to OC? Should I heatsink the SB as well?

I just want a STABLE system. Now that I got this from the NewEgg deal run last week... almost wish I hadn't even bothered with it. I need stability just to dump some data to the 75GXP and then plan a seriously overdue reformat of the drives.

Running XP Home, SP1.

<shakes head in shame>
All this time, I was on the Abit forums thinking I was getting some really good advice.

I am just back to work, BROKE and cannot afford to blow any components atm.
Any and all help much appreciated. Been reading here for 2 days now and you guys rock... thanks for the reality check.

Last edited:
Make sure you built everything properly, all fans are plugged in. Boot it up. Go in to the bios load optimized defaults then save and exit. Everything should be fine.

Even for the seasoned computer builder, the first time a new system is booted, that is the most nerve racking. Reason being you have no idea where to start if the system is screwed and that you have no idea which part is the failing part.

Just take it slow and double check everything.

You don't need to lap the heatsink(s), you don't need to sink the southbridge, you can just build the system normally. We do that stuff to overclock our systems to the limit. It sounds like even if you do overclock you aren't going to surpass the board's rated specs because of your PC2700 RAM. If you want to overclock the processor very much , I reccommend getting an aftermarket all copper heatsink for the CPU. CPU temperature is your enemy when overclocking, and you want to keep it down.

For now, just to make sure the system works properly, make sure the CPU heatsink is mounted properly, and that the CPU fan is plugged in. That's the only thing I would worry about.

SR-71A said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

>1< Should I just boot the board without anything to make sure it even runs?

>2< The CPU/heatsink issue: Is lapping now *necessary* for stability or am I OK with the new AMD Cu heatsink with thermal pad?

>3< I have the GeForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. I realize I have DDR333, am happy if it will run at that [333]FSB. Is the lapping and remount of the NB heatsink necessary or only if I want to OC? Should I heatsink the SB as well?

1. As long as you're sure that every component is properly connected, ie. cables,wires,jumpers etc. then the risk of you screwing it up is so minimal or nil. Unless your mobo got struck by lightning or hailstones somehow. I didnt even bother loading up optimized defaults when I built my current rig and for the previous 2 that I had and it was just fine. Although if you want you can load it in the bios the very first time you turn on your virgin system.

2. If you don't intend to overclock, lapping is of no serious concern. The stock heatsink and fan and thermal pad should be just fine as long as its properly mounted.

3. I think you meant 'nForce2 Ultra 400' chipset. Lapping of the NB heatsink is really not necessary if you're not OC'ing. Although there are a lot of users experiencing KIA'd NB fans on the NF7 after a while, you might consider about checking that fan every once in a while to make sure. Or just change it to a 3rd-party heatsink/cooler like a lot of us did. As for the SB, only those who have experienced problems with their onboard sound like crackling or whatever, have found that sinking the SB helped alleviate the problem.

I think you meant 'nForce2 Ultra 400' chipset.

Indeed, thanks for catching that :)

~~~~~~~~

Got the new rig together. Keep getting "CMOS checksum error: Loading defaults"

I have reseated the CPU and the heatsink. This solved the problem first go round, but when I enter the BIOS to disable the onboard sound (going to use my PCI SB 5.1) or anything else... It locks while in the BIOS.

I have used the "update ESCD" option and hit F10 to save and exit. It then reboots and it misreads the CPU. As I said, resitting the CPU seems to fix that, and I don't want to keep doing that for obvious reasons.

I also need to change the first boot device to the CDROM so I can repair with XP Home CD. Cannot get that far, grrrrrrrrrr.

Going to go and try this again. I really appreciate the advice.

Be back later with updates :)

OK

It has been sitting without the PSU plugs on the mobo and without the battery for over 2 days (reset the CMOS jumper as well).

Now... nothing... nada.

No beeps.

RMA time I guess.

Back