• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I go higher? (P4 2.8C)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zalamander

Registered
Hello.

I got my P4 2.8C fitted with Artic Silver 5 and a Zalman hmm CU7000 something, seems very good at least. on my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
RAM: geil PC4200 2x256MB using 1:1 @ 2.5,4,4,8

This is my current status.

Up to 245MHz FSB rock stable.
250MHz FSB reboots under stress, I know it's not becuse of CPU temperature but what might be the reason, should I go above 1.6V on core? should I try incresing voltage on memory? is it becuse chipset need better cooling than the standard passive cooler? Or is the CPU just simply limited no matter how cold it is?

other info:
I used it at 210MHz FSB with stock air cooler, the full load temperature could go as high as 73 degrees C.(having a own sensor fitted in the socked on the CPU)

Now at 245MHz FSB and the new Zalman cooler it never goes above 65 degrees, actualy that was my latest temperature record I had yesterday when it was very varm in my room probably above 30 degrees.

This is the reason I think overheating is not my problem here.

But... should I give up and be happy with what I got here or am I missing something simple?
maybe I can get some infor on these mods "Vdimm mod, droop mod, Vagp mod" no idea what any of them are but they seem to be fitting my motherboard?

I used it at 210MHz FSB with stock air cooler, the full load temperature could go as high as 73 degrees C.(having a own sensor fitted in the socked on the CPU)

please dont tell me u have the sensor between the cpu and heatsink

No I said "in" the socket, meaning it's fitted on the downside of the CPU.

Looking at CPU from below:

:::::::::::::
::::here::::

cable to it runs betweeen the pins.

What Moboard are you using? I'm running 250MHZ, and I don't see those temps. Mine stays down around 50C under a load. Now when I first installed my CPU, something wasn't right and I saw temps like yours during burn-in, so I reapplied Arctic Silver and the temps came down over a few weeks. Almost like it had to "set".

I have ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.

Yes my onboard CPU-sensor is there araound 50 at full load too, my own sensor is closer to the CPU so it shows higher temp.

hmm I think I'll try that as soon as he weather get's cooler here, no good OC condition with 30 degrees C in room. :)

I need AGP voltage (chipset) @ 1.65 for absolute 100% 24/7 Prime95+SETI stability @250FSB. I dunno how high you can set Vagp on your Asus mainboard but if it's still at default you should give this a try.

Ok I collected some data on my system here and yes thoes things are still on default.

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with i875P shipset.
CPU-z pic of this:
CPUz2.jpg

and 2 other pics for current CPU and Memory speeds:
CPUz1.jpg

CPUz3.jpg

I had a trip to BIOS and found this values there:

My VCore is currently set to 1.5750V I rember I tried 1.6250V as highest when I tried to reach a stable 250MHz FSB last time without succes.

These other 2 I never dared to tuch.
DDR Reference Voltage: [Auto]
So I have no idea what it currently is but it was possible to set between 2.55V and 2.85V.

And last the one you probably asked for was set to it's lowest.
AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.50V
Possible values: 1.50V to 1.80V

But what I dont understand is why this would matter, don't that just make effect on the graphic card? or is that "AGP" not anything to do with the AGP-slot"?

'AGP Voltage' actually controls the Voltage for your chipset (Northbridge) and the AGP slot. When running higher FSB it might help for stability when you raise the AGP Voltage. I'm not so worried about my AGP card itself cuz it really draws it's power from a seperate molex connecor.

Yeah I guess it's safe, my Radeon 9700 got separate power feed as well.

I'll try to rise it and see if it goes stable at 250 or more(memory should do 266) :)

but only a small increase? You said 1.65 earlier but I can only set it to 1.60 or 1.70 so I'll test thoes 2 and see if I notice any difference.
last time at 1.50V 250FSB Prime95 survived for about 15 minutes before crashing.

Thx for your help.

Last edited:
so let me get this straight,
I have my Agp Voltage set at 1.5 V
When i o/c m 2.8c @ 3.2+ it crashes.

I tried raising the Vcore to 1.65 and it didnt work
Will raising the vagp form 1.5 work?
Want to make sure i read above posts correctly.

I always use 1.55v AGP voltage and even 1.6v if I'm pushing my O/C. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem yet.

As someone mentioned earlier, AGP voltage also ties into Northbridge voltage. If your FSB is getting up there, sometimes you need to feed your northbridge a little more voltage for it to be stable.

My system can do about 230FSB on 1.5vagp, about 250FSB on 1.6vagp, about 275 on 1.7vagp, and 292+ on 1.8vagp. I ran it at 1.8v for many months at 287fsb and never once hurt my 9800np.

Seems still that I was not lucky enought, 250 FSB at AGP 1.6V didn't help, still games that just closes down after a time of playing and such issues.

Maybe should test it's stability with AGP 1.7 tomorrow to see if that has any effect at all for me.
But at least mine is rock stable up to about 245 FSB at AGP 1.5V

Back