• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good system for a beginner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seeko

Registered
Hi.. I'm new to water cooling and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.:confused: I was hoping someone could give me some ideas as to what kind of prices I will be looking at and what good water cooling systems are. Also.. I was looking at this case. Is it worth the money?

it depends on if you know how to setup a water kit. you can buy a premade kit from swiftech or dangerden but you will still need to know how to install it. this kit isnt so bad but i would recommend buying them seperatly because its cheaper
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9370
there is many good howto's on these forums that can guide you through the process if your really interested in having water cooling. that koolance case does not perform well if you want to have extreme overclocks. but look around 1st and see what you like.

a month ago I had no idea about wc but after spending time here reading stickies and posts, I was able to buy my own parts, modded my case, and got my wc running no problem. I recommend you do it yourself instead of buying a kit. The followings are my setup:

Danger Den D4 pump $68.99
'77 Boneville heater core $17.99
2x 120mm Panaflo 86cfm 35dba $6.00 each
Swiftech MCW6002-P $40
bought a Swiftech MCW20-P but decided not to use it b/c it added more heat to what my prescott already produce
Clearflex 60 tubing 10' $6.50 at McMaster
home made PVC reservoir $6.00
8 worm clamps from autozone $4.00

This is 1/2" ID system.

For $150-160 as a "starter" system is not all bad :)

nartac i would love to know where you got those 120mm panaflo fans for 6 bux each. website i was lookin at they were almost 20 each.

Wow, I wasn't even aware that they had watercooled cases. Cool :)

I have a question about this case:

Do you guys think that it would cool better than a Cooler Master Hyper 6 in a CM Stacker w/ the crossblow fan? It would definitely be cheaper, but if it won't cool better then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Thanks,

tricknasty said:
nartac i would love to know where you got those 120mm panaflo fans for 6 bux each. website i was lookin at they were almost 20 each.

Here

But lots of people are raving about the Sanyo Denki which can do 102cfm at 39dba. You can buy them at about $5 from this guy that lots of people here at the forum buy from. A steal compared to about $25 elsewhere from what I heard.

Seeko said:
And where do I find all these parts to do it myself?

Danger Den D4 pump $68.99-->Voyeurmods.com
'77 Boneville heater core with A/C $17.99-->local autozone (very easy to mod by the way)
2x 120mm Panaflo 86cfm 35dba $6.00 each--->from site posted above
Swiftech MCW6002-P $40--->cooltechica.com or anywhere else
bought a Swiftech MCW20-P but decided not to use it b/c it added more heat to what my prescott already produce
Clearflex 60 tubing 10' $6.50 at McMaster (about $4.50 for shipping)
home made PVC reservoir $6.00--->home depot
8 worm clamps from autozone $4.00

Forgot to add: Home made shroud from galvanized sheet metal $0.69 from Home depot

Last edited:
hmmm whos the guy that sells those fans for 5 bux lol, that would be nice to pickup. or are they in the classifieds section i dont have access to yet -_-;

Back