• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please HELP With External Firewire Drive Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scroatdog

Ok. I picked up a 160 gig WD dirve from Fry's the other day. After rebates, 60 bucks, couldn't resist.

Anyhow, formatted in NTFS, computer recognized it, and made sure it was optimized for quick removal. I've got the drive in an external firewire enclosure, as I have no more room in my case for it.

I have saved about 51 gigs of 'backup' images of my DVD's on there. Now when I right click or try to access the drive is says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Am I hosed???? Is there anything I can do to get those files back??? Help! This is so frustrating, I want to lob the enslosure out the window!!!!

Thanks

'backup'.....We dont like any indication of warez around here...

Now for your problem.... Are you sure that you copied the actual files to the drive, and didn't just create shortcuts to them?

Well, I'll be sure not to use that phrase anymore....... The data isnt all that important at the moment. What IS important is that I wanted to use this drive to make backup images of my OS and other partitions, so that the next time I want to start fresh, I can use an image instead of loading windows and all my programs.

Yes, I definitely saved the files to the drive. But when I double click it in My Computer, I get "The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable". When I check the properties, it now says Used Space - 0 Free Space - 0 Capacity - 0 bytes.

Can anyone help??

Remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it to an IDE controller. You should be able to recover the data from there. You could also try unplugging and reattaching the drive.

Back