• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 500MB Win XP folder C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 be safely deleted?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2.

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 is 497 MB

Can I safely delete it?

What makes you say that?

I just looked at my drive image made just before installing Service Pack 2 and it had no C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 directory so this was put there by SP2.

After posting this thread, I also remembered deleting this folder after installing Service Pack 1...

Sorry, I just figured that it had to be a joke. It seemed to me that you where wanting to delete your windows updates.

personaly, I like to keep a folder on my c drive labled I386. As long as there is enough HDD room. Then, I'll load up everything from the latest install version...ie SP2 to it. After which, a quick registry change and instead of needing the install disk everytime you update, upgrade replace a componant or software program...it'll just look there instead. I recommend doing this on any PC you make for a less knowlegible friend.

They were the files from the earlier configuration before you installed SP2. If you wanted to uninstall SP2, it would use that folder to put the old files back in.

c627627 said:
What makes you say that?

I just looked at my drive image made just before installing Service Pack 2 and it had no C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 directory so this was put there by SP2.

After posting this thread, I also remembered deleting this folder after installing Service Pack 1...

yeah same, as the said, its safe to get rid of :)

Back