• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4 made in china

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matthew A.

Registered
I recently acquired a P4 2.4 ghz chip. I have no idea what the stepping is for this chip as it came into my hands as an OEM chip. The print on the chip says it was manufactured in China. Does anyone have any info on chips manufactured in China. Such as, reliability, stability and ability to OC them?Asus' Probe lists the CPU ID as being: "00000F27 BFEBFBFF".

I had one of those a while back when trying to decide between a Malay SL6RZ and a China SL6PC. I went ahead and tested the China one just because it was new and different; my thread is so old that I can't even dig it up anymore :p

It hit about 3.2ghz on 1.675v for about a month, but then began to deteriorate... The stable speed fell to 3.1ghz, and then 3ghz, and eventually it dropped all the way back to 2.7ghz... I never fed it any more than 1.675 on my old PX845PE Pro IIs board.

It seemed a good overclocker from the start, but it very quickly fell apart. Can't even explain why; my SL6RZ did 3.3ghz on 1.675 for many months, and is currently doing 3.2ghz on 1.625v right now in someone else's machine.

Ive seen some ppl in asian forums have that 2.4 China chips, they are suck, and cant oc high. Go with Malay and Costa chips...

There is nothing wrong with China CPUs if you get D1 steps. I have two 2.0As I got from Newegg about 5 months ago that do around 3.3 gig on air. That's only a 65% overclock :D. They are the latest D1 step.

On a 2.4 gig chip, that's 3.96 gig :eek:.

The China CPU that I had was a D1 stepping; that's the one that deteriorated faster than any other CPU I've owned (and there's more than a few in my pile...)

In general, I have the best luck with Lxxxxx Malays, for example: L404Axx or L337Bxx Malays. If you look at all the biggest clock Intel CPUs available at any present time, formerly the 3.2, 3.4, or whatever they have now, they all come out of the Lxxxxx Malay plant. I believe they have the most experienced production setup.

It's been said that all Intel CPUs are manufactured in US and only packaged abroad, so the pack date or location of manufacture means nothing. Many do not believe in pack dates or stepping. It's true that it's hit-or-miss. However take the case of the 3.0Cs. I tried several Lxxxx Malays and they all maxed out around 3.8 gig or 250-252 fsb @ 1.675 volts. Two guys, Musk and Rayik, posted here they got a Q401Axx Malay at 3.9-4.0 gig on air at near default voltage. I found one last weekend. Guess what? It does 260 fsb or 3.903 gig at 1.55 actual VCORE, far and away the best one I've gotten so far. It's not quite as good as the other guys as I'm on mild water (HC200), but normally I wouldn't touch a Qxxxxx Malay. It is one well-behaved CPU, as it clears Sandra Arith and Multimedia, PCMark2004 (all tests), the two 3DMarks, IL-2 demo for 30', and the SS2nd Encounter demo. I dare say it has more headroom as I usually run up to 1.675 VCORE, but I've hit my target of 3.9 gig on a 3.0C.

So sometimes you wonder . . . maybe the cores came from the same area of the wafer? If they use wafers like AMD chips.

BTW, I still keep a China 2.60C I got early on. It does 270 fsb on air, or around 3.5 gig, a very rare find as most manage 3.25 or so. It hits a wall though and only gains 1 mhz on water.

Last edited:
Well, my first attempt to OC this chip doesn't appear to be a promising one. Although, I cannot be certain if the error screen that WinME system restore displayed prior to WinME loading that stated that I needed to restart my computer was in fact due to raising the FSB, it's the first time I've gotten the error message on this computer. The problem maybe due to the less then adequate ICS rambus frequency controller chips Asus chose to install on some of the P4T-E mobo's. One that I unfortunately happen to own. Perhaps switching to the 2.4 ghz chip @ 105 FSB is more then the ICS chips can run. The mobo was able to remain stable upto 112 FSB with the 1.7 Willy I was using. Despite months of research and reading about Asus' P4T-E prior to my purchasing one, the issue with the ICS chips did not arise until a few weeks after I purchased one. Before that it was Asus' P3C2000 mobo. However, that was an Intel 820 Camino chipset blunder and not a fault of Asus. (but I'm starting to loose my patience)

I still have my P4T-E boards. If you have a P4T-E with the Cypress CRCGs, than you are limited to around 112 fsb at 4x on the RDRAM. The ICS-13s will do up to maybe 166/4x. Just drop the RDRAM to 3x and you should be good to 112x4 divided by 3 = 149 fsb. In actual practice, subtract 3 mhz or so from that.

I don't know how the packing plant has to deal with anything. Most of the physical chips are made in oregon, hence most of the oregon names, prescott, northwood, klamath.

The chips are not actually made in malaysia / costa rica etc etc i was informed by someone on here - the chips are only packaged there - shipped out from the USA......

BUT i have gone by the Costa Rica plant and it is HUGE for "just" a packaging plant.

Yes, but how about the cores being cut out of wafers. Then a whole bunch of cores from the same (good) location on the wafer being shipped to the Qxxxx Malay plant for packaging? If the cores are assembled sequentially they may all be shipped to the same plant. So cores from a good location tend to have the same pack date.

I dunno, just a wild guess.

I've tried a lot of 2.40Cs. The last three I kept as they were the best. They are a 3326 CR at 307 fsb, another 3326 CR at 295 fsb, and a close 3323 CR at 307 fsb. Funny how they were manufactured between week 23 and 26. These are all MO steps, SL5RZs.

Pack dates, I believe, do have an impact. Just that for someone to say all china chips are bad is unfounded when the chips them selfs are all made in the US.

Clevor said:
There is nothing wrong with China CPUs if you get D1 steps. I have two 2.0As I got from Newegg about 5 months ago that do around 3.3 gig on air. That's only a 65% overclock :D. They are the latest D1 step.

On a 2.4 gig chip, that's 3.96 gig :eek:.

You can't count that you could overclock 2.4gig chip to 3.96gigs. Good aircooling solutions what usually peoples have, you'd hit approximately something like 3.6gigs to 3.8gigs. Those which can go as high as +3.9gigs with air are really good chips, and really hard to find.

In regards to these Q401Axxx 3.0Cs, I was able to find three of them here in Japan by searching several stores. As they are old pack dates (3-8-04 or thereabouts) they are hard to find. One store had one on display for the last couple of months so I bought that one. I found another in a store with slow moving stock and rather high prices.

I finished testing all three last night. They default to 1.475 VCORE in my AI7 BIOS. Each runs 250 fsb or 3.758 gig at that voltage, which is 1.45 actual! Each runs 260 fsb or 3.9 gig @ 1.55-1.675 Memtest clean. However one has to drop down to 257 fsb to pass 3DMark2003, and 255 to pass PCMark2002.

I've searched long and hard, high and low, for two 3.0Cs which hit 3.9 gig at decent voltage. Two out of three ain't bad, with the third bringing up the rear at 3.825 gig. None of the Lxxxxxx Malays I tried earlier comes close. I even tried an SL7BK core.

The two Q401Axxx Malays that do 3.9 gig are well-behaved CPUs. They pass Sandra Arith, Multimedia, PCMark2002, and 3DMark2003, the real toughies with 3.0Cs. One did it at 1.55 VCORE with what I have since found is a failing PSU unit.

Musk and Rayik both have Q401Axxx Malays that hit 3.9-4.0 gig too. Don't want to add fuel to the Pack Date hysteria, but ya hafta wonder. Great tip guys :clap:. That's what these forums are about, whether you believe in ghosts or magic or not.

So far I've been testing with sedate ADATA Vitesta at 3-4-4-7 as I don't want the ram to be a factor. At 3.9 gig and 1:1 with those dog slow timings I still get a 12,075 PCMark2002 score and a 36 sec SuperPI 1M time!

Last edited:
hUMANbEATbOX said:
there are 2 m0 steppings that i know of, sl6z3's (like my 2.4c) and sl6z5's (2.8c).

Yeah, I mean't the 2.40C flavor: SL6Z3, whatever. I haven't looked at the boxes for awhile.

I just got a 2.8C SlW6T China. Packing date is really recent. 7/21/04, which is less than a month old.

Haven't had a chance to see what it can do, as my IS7-E crapped out right away.

I'll update, once I get it running.

I have a 2.4 533 made in China and it bites donkey balls. I stuck it into my Dell and robbed the 3.02 533 HT from it for my laptop. :)

Back