• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple A64 Question 3200 or 3000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
If I get the 3200 I cant get a slk948u just yet if I get the 3000 I can and I dont see the performance difference over the 3000 being worth 40+ bux.

So what do you guy's think

A64 3200 stock HSF for a month or so,

or A64 3000 and SLK948u

With a epox mobo.

You answered it yourself...3000+ newcastle will clock at 2.4-2.5ghz most likely and the 3200+ nc wont go much higher than that if any with the most sufficient air cooling(slk948u)...Get the J version of the epox - ive heard good stuff ;)

There is no a simple answer between the two, otherwise everyone would get the better choice. It depends on your application usage, budget.

Anyway, 3200+ CH and 3000+ NC are both good choice for 754 system. They both are rated 2.0 GHz, the NC being less expensive.

Currently, it is not easy to find a desktop CG revision 3200+. Mobile CG 3200+ are a bit more expensive and may have dependency on motherboard and bios support.

Difference between a ClawHammer and a NewCastle

I got a 3200+ retail and have it OC'd to 2.3GHz stable as a rock...It runs stable at 2.36GHz but my board won't post higher on hyperthreading so I don't know the full potential of it. I keep it at 2.3GHz because it's a nice round figure and I figure I'd just back it off a little for sustaining life of the cpu. I have the 1mb L2 cache with the Clawhammer core. My idle temps with the retail hsf are 32c and I've never seen above 50c load. The room stays at 72c just so you know where I'm coming from.
Mainpoint the 3200+ isn't bad and neither is the retail hsf that AMD packs with it ;)

I hate stock HSF so I got the 3000 with the thermalright SLK948u and the epox J version board hope all go well when the stuff get's here.

I for one dont like the clawhammers as I have read they dont tend to clock as high as for the newcastles I wish I would have had 15 mor bux to get the 3200 but this is just my starter A64 system as soon as the DFI gety's out I will be all over it and by then the A64 chips maybe will be better.

Back