• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can oc'ing your system affect your vid card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TKJ

Registered
I have an amd 1700+ oc'd to 2.0ghz using 200x10. I figured that since I'm keeping the ratio at 33mhz I would keep everything on my PCI and AGP w/in specs. I've been getting some vid crashes (per xp crash warnings) and am wondering if this was the cause. I'm using the Award bios and I see nothing concerning ratio's. Am I wrong to assume that when you oc the fsb that it will automatically adjust the ratio? Like I said I try to only oc my fsb in multiples of 33mhz specifically to keep my PCI and AGP w/in specs. Thanks for the help!

I didn't think that bumping up your FSB in 33MHz chunks is going to keep your PCI and AGP buses in spec if they are not locked. Double check in your bios or via software to make sure sure they are at 33 and 66.

ClarkKent said:
I didn't think that bumping up your FSB in 33MHz chunks is going to keep your PCI and AGP buses in spec if they are not locked. Double check in your bios or via software to make sure sure they are at 33 and 66.

Which software allows you to check what your peripherals are running at?

Which mobo are you using? which chipset? If it is a chipset that supports 200mhz fsb but doesn't have pci\agp lock, deviders will be applied at 133,166,200 to keep the pci\agp on spec.

At least thats how I think it works.

yes as long as your AGP/PCI is locked into spec 33/66 or 66/33 then no Ocin cannot affect your vid card...its when you OC your vid card its self which may or may not affect anything with it...

TKJ said:
Which software allows you to check what your peripherals are running at?

I'm not sure about which software will allow you to check your PCI and AGP bus speeds. But I guess it depends what chipset you have. So you should tell us.

Oh and if you have a Giga-byte board you will be able to check with a prog called Easy Tunes 4.

Even outside of AGP/PCI lock, I can tell you that overclocking your video card can affect total system stability.

If I run my CPU at it's default 3ghz, I can clock my softmodded X800XTPE up to 572/1190 with 100% stability. It can 3DMark03 itself silly, it can play Doom3, it can play FarCry, it can play Halo, it can play everything...

If I run my CPU at it's top-most speed under watercooling (3.85ghz), my card isn't stable even at it's old stock speed (475/900). It will lockup and reset after mere minutes of Dooming or FarCrying or Haloing or whatever. It will usually pass through 3DMark03 though, go figure :p But so long as I never "use" the video card (ie I don't start any 3D apps) then I can dual-Prime95 for days on end without error.

I'm assuming that my Antec TP480 just isn't capable of delivering enough power to my equipment, and even though voltages are good and stay good, it still falls dead.

I've picked the best happy medium for me: a 3.7g processor and "only" 555/1156mhz clocks. Honestly, do I need another ~150mhz CPU and ~20mhz GPU? Probably not :)

Back