• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick HSF!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

I need to hurry and pick out a HSF so I dont loose a sale price on my RAM from newegg.

Anyone running the Mobile 2500+ overclocked what HSF are you running? Or if you dont have the mobile 2500+ but you where going to get one, what HSF would you run it with?

Thanks,
Jesse

p.s. I can care less how loud it is, I just want to hit 2.5GHz!

Yup, Thanks guys, I'll be getting it, but not for a little bit. I read a lot of reviews, sounds awesome... too bad newegg wont have it in stock till the end of the month, but thats okay anways since I'm going to set up this new system this weekend and then I'll let it run at stock speeds for a week while I go away on vacation (I'll just leave the computer on while we're gone :p) and then by the time I get back I'll be able to order it in and do some o/c'ing!

What fan are you using with it?

Okay.. thats WEIRD, newegg HAS it in stock now... so I'm getting it with the Vantec Tornado, but have a question.

11-999-613-03.JPG

See its got the 3 pin and 4 pin connectors... I'm going to use the 3 pin and plug it in the motherboard. Can I cut the other one off all the wayy back so it looks like it just has that one 3 pin power connector? I just want to cut it totally off.

LOL.. okay then, that answers that question. So I'll have to use both :p All this time I thought it was power... wow lol

it usually is, but the 3 pin on this one looks as if it only has 1 line running to it, the monitoing line...

Yeah, you're right. I just plug it into the CPU Fan connector on the motherboard like i normally would, right?

Also you don't want that puppy to run off the motherboard. That thing sucks way too much amperage and wattage, it'll fry the motherboard header.

I know you can't plug it in to the motherboard stock but I'm just giving you something to think about incase you want to mod it so it works off the motherboard.

Yeah, running it off the motherboard probably would kill it! Thanks for the heads up Tebore, I really dont think I would ever end up trying to mod it so it would run off the mobo, but with me who knows... that's what I'm saying sitting here now just waiting for it to get here, but once it actually gets here and its in my hands its always I different story! ;) I really wont though...

They say you need to remove the fan guard off it or else it wont clamp down right onto the heat sink with the clip/clamps they give you to use to attach w/e fan you will use, is this true?

JPetrillo said:
Yeah, running it off the motherboard probably would kill it! Thanks for the heads up Tebore, I really dont think I would ever end up trying to mod it so it would run off the mobo, but with me who knows... that's what I'm saying sitting here now just waiting for it to get here, but once it actually gets here and its in my hands its always I different story! ;) I really wont though...

They say you need to remove the fan guard off it or else it wont clamp down right onto the heat sink with the clip/clamps they give you to use to attach w/e fan you will use, is this true?

Yeh it's true. The clips fit perfectly and with the guard.... welll it's not undoable but it'll be harder. Once it gets here and you see it, you'll get a feel of what I'm talking about.

Yeah I saw some pictures so I have a good idea, I just got that from one review I read, they said you had to remove it to get it on right. Thats what I was thinking as I was reading it "you could probably still get it on good while leaving the fan guard on" hehe

homer77 said:
makes sure the fan is blowing INTO the heatsink, but i m sure u know that :)
Yes, only because a long time when I was building my 1st computer I got into an argument over it with a friend who had already built one of his own... he was trying to tell me it sucks the heat off of the heat sink and blows it out, which really doesnt make that much sense. Makes a lot more sense blowing cool air THROUGH the heat sink ;)

Actually it doesn't really matter with the SLK series because it's got an aerodynamic base. Test which is best in your case. In the case with slower lower pressure fans sucking actually yields better temps, but with fans such as the tornado blowing will yeild better temps. It's all about static pressure.

Back