• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most powerful subwoofer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

I'm looking for a mega subwoofer for that real boom when a nade goes off in farcry/doom3/stalker etc.

I've already got 2x 2.1 Sets for front and rear speakers, now I want one huge sub to sit on the floor and cause structural damage equivilent to the grenade I just detonated on my game.

I'm in the UK and my budget isn't huge. I'd really like a sub designed for pc, you know plug&play.

Although I have been thinking about using a car amp and a 800W sub 15" sub... Anything similar to this on the pc market, or what comes close?

They are logitech are they?
What do you mean to much to handle?
Do they come as a 2.1 set?

Quattro said:
Although I have been thinking about using a car amp and a 800W sub 15" sub... Anything similar to this on the pc market, or what comes close?
Nope nothing comes close to that in the pc world.
Go ahead and use the auto equipment.

To use car audio stuff you just need a 12v power source. A computer power supply will do. Of course thats not as powerful as a car battery. The lights on my PSU and amp (300w cheap car stereo amp) dim if there is a heavy bass punch but it does well. You can get amps for subs that arn't for cars though, that would be best.

Why dont you post something in the sound system section.There are a lot of very knowledgable guys there that can help you thriough your project.
Theres a DYI(do it yourself) thread there.

here's a place you can get sub amps that run off 120V.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505

that's probably the best way to go for the amp cause you would end up having to spend a lot of cash just for a 12V power supply that could actualy handle the power draw of a car amp as they draw a lot of power, for example a 550 watt computer PSU puts out around 30A @ 12V, the 657 watt amp I have in my car has a max power draw of 69A @ 12V though the fuses would pop before then as it uses 2 30A fuses.

You might even want to DIY for the sub and / or all your speakers. HTGuide (http://www.htguide.com/forum/index.php4) has a forum dedicated to DIY Home Theatre related projects (including building your own speakers). The forum is called "Mission Possible DIY". It might be worth a look if you are at all handy. The quality of speakers you can build at home can rival that of speakers that cost thousands of dollars.

Cheers,
Keith.

Only $500...
I live in UK so thats about £300 is it?
That seems very expensive.

stratcatprowlin said:
Nope nothing comes close to that in the pc world.
Go ahead and use the auto equipment.

As he said - simply put - PC's dont have the power to do wat you want it sounds like.

MySelf - i am loking @ a $400 JBL sub woofer for my Sony amp :D that should do the trcik as myself - i loveeeeeeeeee bass!!!

but i dont want nothing but bass - i figure i am about to spend $1000US on my 5.1 surround system - if i ever find what i like - and just put my computer out to my stereo since it is all in my bedroom :D

Getting a Car amp and sub to work in home is trickey and kind of... ghetto. You would need a very powerful Powersupply, if you wanted any sort of good sound from your sub, and car speaker boxes sound like **** in big open areas like rooms, you need a self powered sub from a good company like klipsch, JBL, Cerwin Vega... a 12 to 15" sub would slam the hell out of your house a give you that earth shattering sound your looking for, plus there very easy to install, you need 2 RCA's to run to it, sometimes just 1 if you have a SUB-OUT channel, and plug it into the wall.
the car audio way is hard and complicated...

also trust me you dont need to spend $500 for it to sound nuts, a few years back i picked up and Audio Source 15" 300w self powered subwoofer at this shop, omg!! that thing was loud as loud can get, for $120!!!!! look around man, check classifieds, bargain shops, internet, you will be able to pick up a home sub that will kick your *** for under $150 (us$)

^^^ unfortunatly - i am in Costa Rica and a decent sub will cost $300 - $500 because the people here over charge - and to order online - Customs nails you with %100 Duty charge on Audio electronics :(

*kick*

I used to run a 12" car woofer from a car amp from an old AT PSU. The PSU didn't provide quite enough power, but it did r0x0rz my b0x0rz :D

OBLIVIONLORD said:
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=4&sid=272b140b

That is the absolutle best Home Theater sub-woofer I know of. The 18" version.

But that is far beyond the quality of any car or pc speaker sub woofer i know.

Don't forget Krell: http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_MRS_p_MRS.html

seriously, though, i recommend the DIY approach as others did. Car audio in a room sounds really weird considering the size of the room. If you're in a really small room, though, it should work fine. I still recommend the HT approach when going DIY.

Back