• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp-m temp comparison on nf7-s rev.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lifthanger

Hi.
I know there are many threads about temps in this forum, but none of them is "younger" than 3 months (most of them are from beginning of 2004).
After my system is finally stable, I want to start some overclocking, but I want to compare my temps with yours first (board is new, and I don't have feeling for temps yet).
My system is in my sig. and at 1.7V Vcore in bios (monitoring soft says 1.65V)
and at 11*200 under full load I'm at 46C, NB at 31C and ambient is 22C.
If you have too much spare time just write your data down: Vcore,clockspeed,load,system and ambient temps.
Thank you very much.

additional question to the experienced ones:
What's the highest acceptable temperature?

you don't want the temp over 60°C...... my main system (which has a decent overclock) is idle at about 35° with a case temp of about 23° and load of about 45°. Get yourself some case fans to move the air around and you should notice a differnce.

I have several case fans, but they aren't really optimized yet, the cpu fan is also a bit weak. you may have a look here
(I didn't have my abit board then). front and side fans are blowing in, rear fans are blowing out. I wonder if some ducting would help.

There's no need to waste time on this thread anymore, my questions are answered. But if you like to help with a better cooling concept (reorder of fans) you may of course answer.

Thanks HousERaT, I just saw, that you've helped me many times, while I was searching through threads that I've started. I also say, how many dumb threads I've started since I'm member of this community (it hurts) :p .. well, life is a lesson, you'll learn when you're through.

Thanks for your patience. :bday:

You're welcome...... we all started out as newbies. :D The only thing that would probably help your case is a blowhole in the top and maybe some wire management. It must be hot in the room where that computer is sitting.....

I'm living on the 3rd floor and it gets up to 28C on a hot day, but this morning when my new memory arrived, which made my system stable finally, it was 22C.

and under load i got to 46C and idling was about 37C. I've applied a new layer of as5, maybe this ominous "break-in" will help some. You're right with what you've said. My case is very small, actually memory lies just under the harddisk, if you look from the side. In newer cases, memory is about 10cm away from the drive bay. I guess a top blowhole between mem and cpu would make a big difference.
Cables are optimized as much as possible (S-ATA cables are really nice).

At the moment, ambient is at 26C and load temps are 48C cpu and 33C NB.
I'll get a 12cm delta fan tomorrow. I guess I'll put it in the front hole and make a
top blowhole with my other 12cm fan. Or I'll try to mount my old fan into the psu, this should make for a better airflow. But I guess, as long as I can stay below 50C all is right. What remains to be seen is how long I can stay below 50C when I try to o/c.

I'm just so happy that my system is finally stable, that don't want to change anything :). I guess I'm the only member jumping in joy because I've reached 2.2GHz with a mobile barton lol.

I have a feeling you'll jump even higher when you get to 2.5 or 2.6...... but crawl before you walk..... ;)

too right ;). At least I've never started a thread like: "I want to overclock my mobile barton. I've just set it to 13*200 but out of some strange mysterious reasons, windows is not stable. What did I do wrong?" :D

btw. does cutting big, nasty holes into my case make me a modder? ;)

edit: just stopped folding and idle temps at 22C ambient are 35C CPU and 25NB

Last edited:
When I burnt mine in last night @ 1.75V (2600+, stock 2Ghz) it was load 50º with ambient around 29º. Now that it's back down to 1.45V (stock) it's 42º. Idle is around 39/40º. I'll see how far it gets in OC in 2 days (waiting for my Watercooling parts to come in), but @ 1.55V it did 2.3Ghz with a 1C load raise.

question guys...
i have a NF7, and a DFI PL UB. you can see the rigs in my sig, the dfi has a slk-947u(basicly an sp-97 w/o heatpipes), and the NF7 has a sp-97. the dfi w/ 2.0 vcore wont ever pass 44c, and w/ 2.0vcore on the nf7, my temp gets close to 47+ idle. i have reappied TIM(as5), and have made sure that it is making good contact.is it possible that NF7 temp prob is reading WAY to high? or the DFI to low?

ps my case temps are better by 2-3c on the NF7...

did you enable "cpu disconnect" ?
with high ambient(27C) and disabled "cpu disconnect" I had idle temps at around
50C with 1.75V.
I don't like how this boards measures temps, it could at least use the on-die diode, but you can't change it.
Maybe you should try to touch your heatsink or use your own thermal probe to look if temps are really too high. which bios do you use?

no, but w/ idle temps that high, i get loads of 55-60+....... :bang headtrats

d24, but i have used, merlins d25, and Tictac d23 subzero....and various d10's....they are read similar, w/ d24 and d25 being the lowest and d10 being the highest.

jess1313 said:
no, but w/ idle temps that high, i get loads of 55-60+....... :bang headtrats

d24, but i have used, merlins d25, and Tictac d23 subzero....and various d10's....they are read similar, w/ d24 and d25 being the lowest and d10 being the highest.

Yes, I've read that the Abit boards read a bit higher cpu temperature than it actually is. Nothing to worry about. I wouldn't really expect the same temperature out of both anyways, different boards.

party on: here's a mod, how you make your nf7 boards monitor on-die temps.. these temps can be trusted, but the mod is not easy. linky

I did some changes to my BIOS settings according to this

I did:
All "Spread Spectrums" - OFF
All cacheable things - OFF
CPU disconnect function - OFF
CPU Interface enabled
Turn off all devices you don't need like unused ports or so

and now my temps are at 22C ambient: (system/cpu) idle: 26/38 and load 28/44. I don't know why they got so low, but it happended after changing my bios settings. CPU is at 10.5*210 = 2205MHz with 1.7V set in Bios. 1.65 real?!

edit: wtf?! I just realized, that you're talking about 2.0V vcore.. maybe your temps aren't wrong.. 2.0V may simply be too much for aircooling. maybe the nf7 is right and the dfi is way too low.. do you have a thermal probe, to get another source for temperatures?

Last edited:
Lifthanger said:
wtf?! I just realized, that you're talking about 2.0V vcore.. maybe your temps aren't wrong.. 2.0V may simply be too much for aircooling. maybe the nf7 is right and the dfi is way too low.. do you have a thermal probe, to get another source for temperatures?

well i had a thermal prob w/ the dfi, but i sold it w/ the rig, and the dfi was right on!...lol. maybe even alittle high. but the Nf7 doesnt seem right, my sink isnt that hot, and im pretty much knew how hot the DFI was. really ihave know problem w/ 2.00vcore on air, i ran the dfi there for along time, but when i sold it i backed it down to whats in the sig. i really think that my socket thermister isnt accuat. it clocks to well, i can get 2.6ghz, prime stable, out of 2.0vcore, but im just scared of it, because of the temp thing, maybe when i get another temp sensor/probe.

I understand what you mean.. at these temps, I'd start crying and would go back to stock with 1.45V ;).
I hope the probe you're getting will help... and if nothing helps you could still do the on-die readout mod (as if life wasn't short enough) :cool:

yeah that looks like a great mod, but the sodering looks like enough to give me a nervious brake down, i have pulled off all Vmods that i have tried so far, but none of then envolved sodering to such "tiny" pins...jeeee

I won't do it in near future, too. When he was talking about lifting pin 102, I thought the number has to do with its usage.. but then I saw the picture.. ouch! :D I voltmodded my 9600XT and is very succesful, but these chips only had 8 legs (not >200 lol).
I guess I'd sweat blood while doing this mod :)
Did you try these bios setting ins the meantime, or did you already have these settings (I'm pretty sure you had the right settings, as you're obviously very experienced- so excuse the dumb question... I'm unworthy :p ) ?
Excuse my jokes, too, I feel high since my new memory made my system stable, after 4 months of struggling instability, bsod and endless hours of testing without results. yeeeehaaaa

yes i usually run the setting specified above, (and dont worry about asking you dont seem stupid, thats why were all here to learn from each other the best we can), but sometimes durring testing i run CPU interface off. especially if im running my hyperX(d43's). my nf7 hates cpu interface w/ loose timnigs ....go figure.....

yeah i as well fought miserably a battle w/ random crashes and DSOD, when i was running TicTacs d23fire+my D43's. i was using 242+ FSB and 3-4-4-8 timings and it turned out the the bios hated the 3cas......i changed it to 2.5cas and then, it was like it wasnt even my NF7 anymore, no more BSOD. i was like WHAT!!!!. after that, i was so frusterated by this because i had tried for along time to fix it, i was like hummm maybe i could run 1.45vore and get stable at 3.0ghz..J/k(obviously)..lol sometime all this seems so backward to me.

my nf7 is modded(VDD, VDIMM(dirtypunk/and the normal way), and VTT, both my 9800pro's are vmodded, all my antec PSU's are, and my SHuttle has a Vdimm mod, and i still look at that CPU diod mod and get Blue in the face, i feel that my Radio shack sodering iron would melt every one of those pins as soon as i got close to one...........

Back