• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alx-800 vs slk900a???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArTiFaX

hey all, I was trying to decide on which one of these hsf's to get!! I know the sk900a is better, but how much of a temp change would i see between the 2? does the cost justify the cooling????

alx-800=$34.98 slk900a=$49.88

wow... they just had a sale on the slk900a at svc.com for 19.99.... you should check and see if the sale is still on.

well to answer your original question, the slk900a is wonderful and supports a 92mm fan.

ok thanx houserat!! do you know if the sale is still on and if they deliver to canada?

Oh sorry didn't know you are in canada. SVC doesn't take international orders unfortunately.

I would go with the slk900 just because you can run it quiet if you want to. The alx800 doesn't work so well with low speed fans.

Artifax,
I wish I could find the link to the page where they tested all the HS's and listed they're heat dissipation. Anyway they quantified it like this...
Each # higher is equal to 1 degree celcius higher, therefore the HS's with the lowest # cool the best. If I remember correctly, these tests were done without a fan to see the HS's cooling ability on it's own...
I only have a few written down, and the ALX 800 isn't in there meaning it was LOOWWW on the list..high #.. the difference in temp between slk900a and alx800 will be AT LEAST 5-10 degrees celcius...
here's what I have listed:
Slk900 .22
sp97 .23
slk800a/u .23
948u .25
sk7 .25
swiftec mxc462-u .26
947u .26
ax7 .28
as you can see, the slk900 even beats out the sp97... keep in mind, this does'nt take into account the fan you have on it, or size of fan, so a HS with less heat dissipation, but a larger fan may cool better. but if you are definitely going for a 92mm fan, the slk900 is tops.

I wasn't suggesting that it be used passively, just showing the cooling characteristics of each HS on it's own, without the fan variable. And I must've left out the alx in the list I wrote down for some reason when i was doing my research.. think cause it was the thick aluminum , as you said.
YOU found the link!!! GJ.. thanks!!!

Last edited:
i would go to svc but they don't do INTERNATIONAL DELIVERIES!!! i live in canada :p

Back