• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im think of gettin a p3 laptop but not sure what one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

im going to get a used laptop cuz there sooo much cheaper then a new one. ive been looking and i have broken it down to a Compaq Armada E500 w/p3 850 and 15.1" display or a Compaq Armada M700 w/p3 1000 with a 14.1 inch display. all the features are mostly the same. for 10 buck more the m700 u get a 4 gig lower hd and 1" smaller display but a 1gig cpu. is the m700's speed going to be enough to justify the extra 10 bones for less disk space and smaller display? i have always used amd so im not sure how the p3 performs. give me all your input.
thanks
al :)

What are you using it for? If its just for office/web stuff then I would take the extra display size and bigger hard disk over 150MHz any day.

mostly i am going to use it for dvd viewing on the go. i travel a lot and i would like to ge able to copy and watch my dvd-r's away from home. i also would like the idea of having a wireless internet network at home. i already have the wireless router, all i need is a notebook. im just wondering if 150mhz in the p3 cpu is worth the 4 gig less hd and 1 inch smaller display.

AL Romero said:
mostly i am going to use it for dvd viewing on the go. i travel a lot and i would like to ge able to copy and watch my dvd-r's away from home. i also would like the idea of having a wireless internet network at home. i already have the wireless router, all i need is a notebook. im just wondering if 150mhz in the p3 cpu is worth the 4 gig less hd and 1 inch smaller display.

If thats what you are using the laptop for then I would just take the slower CPU, and the extra hard disk space and bigger display.

For watching DVDs a bigger display is going to be better than a faster processor.

I agree with David. For mostly watching DVD's I would take the bigger display. The loss of 150Mhz will not be noticeable in DVD viewing. For what you are using it for, or even for general non intensive tasks, the bigger display and HDD is worth it IMO. I dont think you would be doing any real processor intensive tasks on a 1Ghz laptop anyways. At least I know I wouldnt ;)

In a nutshell...go for the one with the bigger display ;)

if thats the case then should i get a lil smaller cpu and save even more. a buddy of mine had an older dell p2 450 it doesnt play dvds very well. it skips around and like pauses and ****. what about say a p3 700? do you think that would be fine.

Heck it may not be the 450 processor it could be a number of things like a crummy drive spyware ect.

Al, I just put together an IBM T20, from stuff on Ebay, for about $320. Not only did I learn something about laptop building, but I have a good running machine. My reason for getting a lappy were basically the same as yours, plus having the computer with me, while I am away from home. Went to Mom's house today, and it turned out to be handy, since she no longer has any computer.

Found a running laptop, missing all the drives, and found the rest to put it back together. I already had a HDD, that I got here, from the classifieds.

I would suggest that anyone on this forum, that is looking for a lappy, to get the parts and assemble it.

steve

Back