• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with my current setup ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirgamesalot

Registered
Hey im running an old school athlon 1.333ghz, 512sd ram and i WAS using a mighty geforce 2 Ti, which was kicking at the time. But now that card has died and i need to move on. Problem is that my board is a Sis 630 chipset and uses agp4x.

What would be the best possible card for me to get? im going to upgrade my CPU soon, but i still want a decent card. Something to play HL2 on you know, with ****ty settings i dont really care.

whats the best card for me to get? so i dont have any real bottlenecks?

- Eddy

couldnt you just buy a newer 8x AGP card like a 9600pro and run it at 4x? From benchmarks I've seen the performance difference between 4x and 8x is very small or nonexistant.

About running HL2 on that processor.....good luck :-/

Tbh man, I think you would benefit more from new processor + cpu +ram. Which could probly be found for the same price as a new gfx card if you get refurbs/some used parts. But hey, if you want a new gfx card.. anything 9600 or 5700 up wise, just make sure they're backwards compatible.. ans 4x and 8x AGP use different voltages :)

:sn:

edit: Heck, even a 9200 would be good. But if you're keeping the athlon, you'd want something with alot of grunt :)

An 8x AGP card such as a suitable 9600/9800 series/FX5700/FX5900 series card would allow you decent performance in newer games, with low to medium detail settings and will be backwards compatible with 4x AGP boards.

AFAIK its only really old AGP cards that use the 3.3v AGP voltage, newer ones will use 1.5V, newer meaning AGP2x and up.

aye 8x cards should run fine in 4x AGP boards...I'd go for a 9700/9800np or p, or a 5900XT or other 5900 model. I wouldn't get the 9600 series because I believe it's overpriced and under powered. You can find used 9700/9800's for less than 125 now (I got a 9700p for 120), and 9600p's and XT's are 100 used....for 25 bucks you get a hell of a lot more performance.

Your cpu and ram are gonna bottlenck this though...if your gonna upgrade them soon then go with a 9700/9800 or 5900, if your not gonna upgrade the rest of your system, a ti4200 would perform almost the same as the higher end cards because of your CPU bottlenck.

yeah mabe im better off just getting a whole new A64 rig... sounds tempting lol

thanks for your help guys.

- Eddy

yeah right now is kind of a weird time for buying a new system though with the socket migration and PCI-E on the way and all. If you want to build the cheapest 64-bit rig you can then I'd go with a 3000+ and K8V mobo. There is a huge thread over in the cyberdeals forum about a deal AMD is/was doing but I haven't read that thread for awhile so maybe the deal is dead.

For a CPU and RAM upgrade I'd go with (what I have :)) an Athlon XP 2500+ and Corsair Value Select RAM. It's an easy overclock to 2.2ghz, even higher if your mobo will handle it.

Back