• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if I add a comp to a domain, can I reverse it later?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

basically what the title says, I'm playing with win2k3 server for my township, want to get them to use domain based networking eventually, and I'm getting close(learning a lot of what I need to) but I want to test it(I have a test server) 'n just throw a computer or 2 in the office onto the server's domain for a few minutes, see how the logging in works, the accounts save their info, and have automatic paths set up. anyway, it's currently a workgroup based network, and I only want to add the machines for maybe an hour, than have it like it never happened, but once the rules are added that are dictated by the domain controller, can it be easily reversed?

many thanks

If you go for domain based user authentication, it will create brand new profiles on the PCs, assuming you are running XP clients. They will be entirely seperate from your current profiles. If you are running Windows XP, it is very easy to swap between domain logon and local logon - you can toggle between them on the standard logon screen. For 98, you simply remove the domain name from the logon box and it will ask you some simple questions allowing you local account access. However, the profiles used in 98 domain and local logon are shared. In my experience this hasn't caused problems when moving between domain and local logons.

Back