• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adapter Refresh rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naif

Can I know what that is :S The knowledge I have when it comes to video cards is almost nil. Anyways 5 mins back I updated my NVidia drivers. I have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440(8x) Video card, before I went for an update, the adapter refresh rate was set to Adapter Default, but later after the install, it was changed to Optimal and like the deskop kind of appeared fuzzy. I cant really describe how the screen was appearing because english is not my mother tongue. I can just say it seemed kind of awkward. So I set the refresh rate to Adapter default. So like do you think this will be the best setting for me or should I stay with the Optimal settings?

you should play around with it to find which one works best for you. Do you have any idea how fast your monitor can refresh? if not then I'd go with the default. If you try a refresh rate and the screen looks bad then go to a refresh that's a little slower..... you'll find a refresh rate your system can handle.

Cant I stick up with the default refresh rate?

The GF4 MX 440 is a a fairly old chip. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it. But, you should probably stick to the older drivers. The latest drivers are really meant for the newer cards. There's no really reason to upgrade your drivers unless you're having a problem.

I personally like a high refresh rate. The max I can run at the resolution I use is 85 Hz, and so that is what I use.

The threshold for getting rid of "flicker" is 72 Hz. But unless you have a very old monitor, you should be able to run it up to 85 Hz at 1024x768, and probably at 1152x864.

Some screens can react strangly to some refresh rates. My primary screen can do 100hz at 800x600 and 85hz at 1152x864. But won't do anything above 60hz at 1024x768!

Back