• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prices going through the roof....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fastcuda

Why are modern video cards going up so high. Are manufacturers getting greedy or is inflation running rampant? Or has the separation of classes finally reached computers and only the people that live in mansions and drive hummers and own a lear jet will be able to have a fast computer. Materials in a card cannot be an issue, so its development and manufacturing costs plus greed factor equals a new video card. :mad:

prices havent went up very much if at all. The prices of brand new vid cards have been around 500 for quite a while now.

Well I remember 2 years or so ago a new ati 9800 pro was top of the line and around 300 bucks, and a lot of people were going to wait for them to come down....and they did, you can get them about 200 now (I think they were hoping for lower faster like me). And new cards now are around $500. So 100 dollars a year, thats like 20% or so.........so how can you say they haven't went up? Is your salary going up 20% a year?

3 years ago I paid 399 for a 4600ti. Well that was the retail price but I bought it while they were having a sale on all pny cards and got it for 299. Prices havn't really gone up much at all. They charge the price because they know they can get it. I don't know exactly what it costs to manufacture these cards, but I know it can't be cheap. If a company ever came out with a "top of the line" card and only charged like 200 bucks, I would be suspicious. :D

Maybe he means the low supply and high demand is causing some retailers to sell the 6800U and X800XT's for $600+.

Of course it is. There is no regulation in the video card market, like there might be for supply commodities like milk and egg. Naturally, market forces like supply and demand WILL make the prices move. bit by bit...

The retailers that are selling them at MSRP right now aren't too lucrative in their dealings if you think about it. Cards come in, they are gone in a day, they rake in say (just shooting a figure) a 40% margin of profit.

They could probably sit on some stock, sell at the 60% margin of profit level and rake in more cash. Anyone else know where to make a garanteed extra 20% on your money in a week ? :p

It's not too enjoyable for us though. I'm looking to buy a video card NOW and it's driving me crazy. :bang head

Need... f .. p.... s. :drool:

SunTzu69 said:
Of course it is. There is no regulation in the video card market, like there might be for supply commodities like milk and egg. Naturally, market forces like supply and demand WILL make the prices move. bit by bit...

The retailers that are selling them at MSRP right now aren't too lucrative in their dealings if you think about it. Cards come in, they are gone in a day, they rake in say (just shooting a figure) a 40% margin of profit.

They could probably sit on some stock, sell at the 60% margin of profit level and rake in more cash. Anyone else know where to make a garanteed extra 20% on your money in a week ? :p

It's not too enjoyable for us though. I'm looking to buy a video card NOW and it's driving me crazy. :bang head

Need... f .. p.... s. :drool:

............well, this pretty much explain's why i see thing's like ............... this stuff ..........; and yes indeed, it tend's to make me burn up a storm as well..... :mad:..... basically i am referring about the " Price - Gouging " of these card's compared to what they " WERE " listed to start off with......and now look at them..... ! ! ! .....( gzzzzz..... :eh?: )

snyper1982 said:
i think maybe thats a typo. lol. but who knows.

...............nope.........no type-o, called myself to confirm & yes it is in stock for that........ :drool: ..........gzzzzzzz........better be, huh??? ! ! ! for that amount.......... :rolleyes:

Good lord. I think 15% restocking for that is rediculous. For a that much cash I could fly the card out there and restock it myself.

I remember the days of the 200 dollar top-of-the-consumer-market video card. Sadly those days are long past.

Hopfully in September when Ati sends huge enough amounts to everyone then the prices will go back to normal.

Boomstick said:
Good lord. I think 15% restocking for that is rediculous. For a that much cash I could fly the card out there and restock it myself.

L O L
Hey at least they offer free ground shipping. :santa:

haha. anyone remember when the vodoo3 3d was brand new and so badazz? Vodoo 5 ?? Man those cards were high when they came out. I remember drooling over the vodoo3 and settling for a 32MB Rage because that's what i could afford. You know what's really funny when you think about it? i paid over $100 more for my R8500 when it first came out than i paid for my 6800NU last week. HAHA. that was a $399 card and truform was the newest/best thing since 3d. lol.

Nah i don't think the prices are "shooting through the roof" per se'. All component prices have gone up a bit just like everything else has, but all in all, the newest and the best is going to cost you a fortune. Don't think that's going to change anytime in the forseeable future.

J.

fastcuda said:
Well I remember 2 years or so ago a new ati 9800 pro was top of the line and around 300 bucks, and a lot of people were going to wait for them to come down....and they did, you can get them about 200 now (I think they were hoping for lower faster like me). And new cards now are around $500. So 100 dollars a year, thats like 20% or so.........so how can you say they haven't went up? Is your salary going up 20% a year?

the retail price for the 9800pro was $499 when it first came out as was the 5900 ultra, I got my 5900ultra when they first came out too which was just a little over a year ago, cost me $530 for it.

you wanna talk about something shooting through the roof, look at gas in california. over 2 dollars a gallon.

fastcuda said:

Ok, that was the pro, the 9800XT was 500... so whats your point?

The pricing structure for video cards hasn't changed all that much in the last 24 months or so. Also, it does kinda seem in line w/ inflation.

Yeah, a Voodoo 3 5000 cost $400 when it was released. Now newer videocards cost ~$550 or so. If you wanna be on the bleeding edge, you've gotta bleed.

There will always be people who must must must have the abolute fastest things on the market, no matter the price. They can charge this 'cause they'll get it. Whining about it won't change a thing.

Back