• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Overclockablity - Mobile 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ch3cooh

Registered
I'm buliding a computer with the following specs:

Motherboard - ALBATRON KX18D PRO
CPU - Mobile Athlon 2400+ (45w) with Thermaltake Volcano 11 Cooler
RAM - 3 sticks of PNY 512 MB PC3200
PSU - Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480w

I have a few questions. Will having 3 sticks of RAM decrease the system's overclockability? Do you think I can reach 2400-2500 Mhz with this setup? Will the RAM I've chosen be able to go past 200 Mhz FSB?

Also, what steps should I take to overclock it? Do I set RAM timings first? Find highest FSB first? Any help is greatly appreciated.

the first thing i would say is change that 2400+ to a 2500+ or 2600+ what chipset has that motherboard got if its got a N-force2 u should be all set to go past 200fsb i think the ram will be ok

to overclock it lower the multiplier down to about 6, then up the FSB as much as it will go stable, start bringing up the multiplier and voltage when needed intill your happy or the heat is too much run prime95 for 12hours+

Do Mobile 2500/2600's have much better overclocking potential than a 2400? I was under the assumption that the 2400-2600 were all identical.

Also, I have the RAM right now. All the other parts have yet to be ordered.

I must ask you, what budget are you working with?
You should get the NF7-S and a 2500+ or 2600+ as suggested earlier.
Also I recommend getting better RAM, and only 2 sticks, not 3, as that will not let you utilize dual channel memory. Also consider getting a better heatsink, with what you've chosen getting to 2.4-2.5GHz will be tough with a 2500 or 2600+, with 2400+ it will be a lot more tough, if not impossible.

I would also like to know if you have these parts now or are looking to purchase them? CandymanCan and I just had a little debate over ocing AXP vs A64, seems as if A64's are the better way to go ( :p to CandymanCan )

I only have the RAM right now. I guess I could get the ABIT board. Does everyone agree that is better? Is it true that 2500/2600s overclock better than 2400s? Same core, same cache. I don't see a difference. Can anyone explain that to me?

yes, the 2500+ and 2600+ definatly overclock better. The Abit board is probably the most commonly used board for overclocking the XP. The cores might be the same on all 3 of the chips, but the 2500 and 2600+ are just better quality.

Its only like $10 more 2. The 2500+ mobile you should get. As for youre memory. You can use 3 sticks and still get the duel channle working.

The 3 slots thier are seperated. the 1 from apart of the 2 is one channle and the other 2 is the other channle. 3 sticks will work in duel channle. Iv tested this before on my AXP system.

As for the motherboard. Like said above the Abit NF7-S 2.0 is the one you should be getting.

XP-M 2500+ and the NF7-S v2.0 are the way to go. As for cooling the SLK-900A is on sale at svc.com for $25.52 including shipping and a ThermalTake SmartFan II is $13.99 including shipping at eXcaliberPC.com.

You could take a look at this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=320879

Shows the total cost of an AXP and A64 OC system. Also discusses the benefits of going A64 instead of AXP in terms of both OCing and performance.

DUH! Thank you. :rolleyes:

So here is the final list of parts I'm getting:

Parts - Including Shipping

ABIT "NF7-S2" nForce2 Ultra - $70.17
AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ - $99
Thermaltake Black Xaser III Skull Series Mid-Tower Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "VM3420BU" - $146
THERMALRIGHT SLK-900(A) - $26.35
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g tube - $6
Thermaltake A1357 SMART CASE FAN II w/Fan Speed Control - $7.99

Total = $355.51

If anyone knows where I can get ANY of those parts CHEAPER let me know.
I've already bought the 3 sticks of 512 MB PNY PC3200 ($188), I also already have a MSI Radeon 9800 PRO to put in the computer. Does everyone agree this is the best setup?

Thanks for your help!

I dont think I would go with that mobo, that is not the NF7-S v2 - I think you may have gotten confused by the number scheme a bit?

All the rest looks good to me but you may wish to consider a case wo/psu so you can pick out a psu with good rails. I'm not saying the one in that case is bad, it's an "unknown" that can affect your overclocking results

this is the mobo I think you need to get here
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=1

and not this one your post is mentioning :-/
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-185&depa=1

http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/productdetails.aspx?sku=MB-ABIT-011
That's the board your talking about I see. There's one thing troubling me though. It says this:
"- Three 184-pin DIMM sockets
- Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (Max. 3GB)
- Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2GB) "
Does that mean if I put 3 PC3200 sticks into it that it wouldn't work? It says I can only have 2... Does anyone else have this mobo with 3 PC3200 sticks installed?

Back