• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3200+ (none mobile) Safe Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theboydann

Righto, as you can see I have a 3200+ Barton Chip.

Does anyone know what the best settings are for this?

I Know the Barton Core was not originally designed for the 400mhz FSB so Im wondering what the limits are. Its running at 43 degrees currently.

Had a bad experience in my last case, burned the chip out after only turning the FSB up a few mhz and had to back and poke the guy I bought it off for another, but it was up to 60degrees ish (hence the Volcano cooler).

Anyone help?

well safe settings would be 200mhz fsb, and a multipliaer of 11. thats stock. how far you can push it from that depends on whether the motherboard is any good, whether the cpu is any good and the ram etc. if you watch temps and try and keep them below 55oC you should be ok as you overclock.

is the 3200 locked? i cant remember whether they come locked or unlocked
is the 43 degrees the idle temp?

if its unlocked just try raising the vcore up to around 1.7 - 1.75 and try raising the multi up to 11.5, so 2300mhz. then run some benchmarks, stress test etc. and watch the temps.

Cheers matey,

The motherboard is v.good (well the best ASUS make for the chip anyway).

Its running at 2.2gig at the moment (stock) but just want a bit more cos Im a speed freak.

Im not sure about the locking situation, does anyone else know?

43 degrees is while running encoding video. So pretty hardcore stuff.

theboydann said:
Cheers matey,

The motherboard is v.good (well the best ASUS make for the chip anyway).

Its running at 2.2gig at the moment (stock) but just want a bit more cos Im a speed freak.

Im not sure about the locking situation, does anyone else know?

43 degrees is while running encoding video. So pretty hardcore stuff.

We are all speed freaks.

Is this a mobile 3200 or a Desktop 3200.

If its the newer locked desktop's then raising the fsb would be youre only choice.

Going over 200fsb wont hurt the cpu. As for the other cpu frying because of that i doubt that was the cause. Just make sure ur temps dont go above 55c and dont raise the voltage until you processor is unstable.

To test stability and see youre max temps. Run prime 95 download the 1mb file

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

As it says on the title its a 3200 desktop CPU, not a mobile.

Thanks for your advice.

Incidently, whats the difference between the green CPU's and the Brown ones?

I have the same CPU/Mobo as you. I got lucky and got an unlocked 3200+, but from what I hear, most of the 3200's come locked.

Anyway, I have mine clocked to 2405MHz @ 1.775V (200.5 x 12), very stable. The mobo tops out at 1.85V, and my CPU isn't entirely stable at 2500MHz/1.85V, but of course, OC potential will vary from cpu to cpu.

Good luck, let me know what you get yours up to.

Edit: I'm using a Thermalright SP-97 HS and a 92mm Tornado...
40c idle...45c load.

Cheers guys, thanks for the help, I'll try it at 200.5x12 @ 1.775 as suggested.

As for memory mate, have you looked at Geil Golden Dragon or Ultra. Looks like good stuff.

Can't go wrong with Corsair though...

Dan

3200+ Setting's

Hey if you try a 12.5x200 i have run 2 prime 95's at once for 20 hour's no problem.With a vcore of 1.8. The mem might hold you back i don't know that for sure though.We have different mem so it is hard to say.I have had no luck raising the fsb on this chip as it is already running at a high level at stock.ANY WAY GOOD LUCK.

White Rhino said:
Hey if you try a 12.5x200 i have run 2 prime 95's at once for 20 hour's no problem.With a vcore of 1.8. The mem might hold you back i don't know that for sure though.We have different mem so it is hard to say.I have had no luck raising the fsb on this chip as it is already running at a high level at stock.ANY WAY GOOD LUCK.

Your water cooling might have helped you achieve a higher oc.

Anyway, I upped my FSB to 211 and decreased my multiplier to 11.5 for a grand total of 2426MHz @ 1.8V.

Back