• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unamped/Open Gaming Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisteve

My first post here - I was recently with the futuremark forums for a number of years, but after being banned, I decided to leave. (Yea I know I didnt decide nothin lol) :drool:

Now I need your help :cool:

Currently im using a set of Sennheiser HD 555's, and a headroom Bithead amp. Im looking to return them both this weekend, due to the fact that the left earphone seems to be defective.

What im looking for: A good pair of headphones up to $250 in price, that work great unamped, with my sb audigy2zs. Preferabbly open, but am willing to buy a closed pair if I find a deal.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

I would try a pair of Sennhesier HD 580's. I know everyone says you have to have a powerful amp to drive them but I dont think so. My pair of HD-580's sound great through the audigy 2 ZS and my PCDP or H/K receiver. IMO a headphone amp isnt really required for the 580's. Now the Corda did improve them dont get me wrong but it was no ware near a $300 improvment. The biggest thing the Corda had going for it was the crossfeed which was a very nice feature. Other than that All the corda did was clean up the bass and treble a tad bit. Needless to say I sold the corda but kept the 580's. As far as comfort is concered I dont think the 580's can be beat and I just love the sound.

Ryan
P.S. you might wanna post this or have a moderator move this to the sound systems area. It'll get a lot more responses :D

oh i didnt notice there was one for that!

i saw sound/video and so i just posted here, ill try posting in there now

Thx for the advice as well

Can't give many suggestions on headphones that expensive, but Sennhesier is THE name that comes up every time. I'd stay with them, and just find a model that better fits your needs.

Moved the thread to the sound section for ya' as well :)
JigPu

I Like the BOSE Set I have. Unbelievable sound and comfort. They have models as low as $199.

Just my .02 cents

Harry

Ryan T said:
I would try a pair of Sennhesier HD 580's. I know everyone says you have to have a powerful amp to drive them but I dont think so. My pair of HD-580's sound great through the audigy 2 ZS and my PCDP or H/K receiver. IMO a headphone amp isnt really required for the 580's. Now the Corda did improve them dont get me wrong but it was no ware near a $300 improvment. The biggest thing the Corda had going for it was the crossfeed which was a very nice feature. Other than that All the corda did was clean up the bass and treble a tad bit. Needless to say I sold the corda but kept the 580's. As far as comfort is concered I dont think the 580's can be beat and I just love the sound.

Ryan
P.S. you might wanna post this or have a moderator move this to the sound systems area. It'll get a lot more responses :D

I agree. I'm running my HD-600's off my onboard sound right now (my headphone amp broke, and my M-audio has no headphone output) and they get plenty loud. Doesnt sound half bad either.

I would get the Grado SR-60s, awesome sound for music and gaming, unamped. Do a google search for them, they get nothing but praise from audiophiles everywhere. I first saw them at headphone.com which has a good buyers guide here.

Back