• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will I stop??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grifter510

Registered
I'm going to overclock my card I just wonder is there any software that will determine the maximum oc for your card? better yet when will I stop increasing the the core and the mem???

Not sure what card you have, but I've seen that MSI has a custom version of the nvidia drivers with a function called "auto-overclock" or something like that. It tests to find the highest "stable" core/mem freq. I've tried it and it sucks. Even I managed to get higher than the automatic stuff. And I'm not even that good at oc'ing at all.... Not sure if there are similar functions for ATI cards.

It would help to tell us what card you're overclocking.. :sn:

Riva Tuner for nVidia cards is an excellent choice. It tell you the minimum/maximum your card can underclock/overclock.

use Coolbits2, it comes with nvidia cards. I used Riva and I didnt care for it. But some people like it. Its all about preference.

When the card catches fire and melts into the bottom of your case as one big gooey mess of burning plastic and sparking circuits... then it is time to stop

Muahhhh hahahahahahahahahaha

Really though, lol, so long as you aren't getting any wierd errors then you are fine. Lock-ups generally indicate too much core speed. Artifacts will usually occur with too much memory overclock. So, clock up the core 10mhz or so and run your favorite benchmark tool or games. If you have no problems and want more then go up another 10 and try again. Once you find your max core clock back it off a bit and do the same for the memory. Honestly there is no very easy way to determine your cards max clocks as all cards clock differently. There are some programs like coolbits and rivatuner that will try to find your maximum clock speeds but i don't think many of us have much luck with those. Best is the old fashioned way, clock it up, and test it out. Sort of like tuning an old cheverolet :D.

J.

thanks guys for the info iI forgot to mention the video card iits a
Powercolor Radeon 9550 with 256Mb
I know its not a top notch video cards like other people have but I hope I can somewhat puch it to the limits or better get most out of it hope yuo can give some thought by the way I've change the hsf and put some ramsink on it

Back