• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to overclock a celeron 2.6.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flamers

Registered
Im going to overclock this...
cpu.jpg

Currently its in a pre built packard bell system, which sucks really horrible cooling.

Im soon to be upgrading most things, ive decided on a nice Antec case, and a nice collection of case fans. Also decided on a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe and a ThermalRight SP-94 for cooling, what i cant decide on is memory, apart from that i want to get something i can run dual channel, probably 2 sticks of 256mb unless i can get some extra cash to afford 2 sticks of 512.

What i would like some advice on is what speed of memory i would need, could i get a nice overclock on that setup with pc3200, or would it be worth going higher.

You probably can get by with some PC2700. With a multiplier of 26X133=3458. Even if your processor goes higher, you can overclock the RAM.

might i suggest something like a abit AI7?

its $6 cheaper at newegg atm, and will overclock a WHOLE lot better.

i would also spring for at least some pc3200. once that oc'd cellie starts to feel sluggish to you, you could buy a 3.0c cheap, and you'll need the headroom. no sense buying new ram all over again then. you gotta think about upgrade paths..

Celeorns can take ALOT of juice - i saw a guy running a 1.8Ghz NW celly on 3.6Ghz running 2.2v on watercooling.

Great chips to play around with. the cache handcap is the main downside tho :(

Decided im going to go with the Abit AI7, and 2 sticks of OCZ 256mb pc3200.

Going to order it tonight.

flamers said:
Decided im going to go with the Abit AI7, and 2 sticks of OCZ 256mb pc3200.

Going to order it tonight.

sweet! you'll love the board, let us know how it comes together for ya!

Well i recieved my Abit AI7 today, aswell as my sp-94, tornado fan, arctic silver 5 and some cables. Just waiting for my case and ram, should come in the next couple days.

What im wondering is what should i use to clean of the white crap that is currently between the old heatsink and processor when i come to installing it all.

they often tell you to use a credit card or something anfinish with some rubbing alcohol or TIM removal.

i usually just use a tissue..works fine :)

just recieved the rest of my stuff, so going to get to installing it.

Should be back with some results from my first overclock later.

The Celeron should overclock quite well, especially in an AI7. I would expect probably 3.4ghz+ out of that puppy pretty easy, maybe even more. Only problem is, even at 3.4ghz, a 2.6ghz P4 would probably still play games faster :(

Celerons really get butchered in gaming performance because of their lack of L2 cache. Now the Prescott "celeron" chips are a different story...

i'd like to see where this goes ~~~ picked up an es 2.6 celeron about 10 months ago to play with, and my next step would 've been to an abit or asus board with some good ram just to see where this would max out ~~~ heat was not really an issue with these either when overclocked

using an iwill p4ht board and kingmax bga pc2700 cas2 could post at

22x161
23x158
24x152
25x146
26x133

probably not stable, but seems the chip still had room, was hoping to see 4.0

Well i got it all set up fine and working, temp were nice and low.

Had it up to 3.1Ghz voltage at 1.65, was stable.

Was all fine when i went to bed left prime95 running, but in the morning there was a beeping like an alarm coming from the system. i couldnt see any obvious reason cpu temp was like 38 i think. i restarted after this and the alarm noise was there from startup, so i played around with some settings even tryed putting it back to default speed, still there.

it is really frustrating and i cant see a reason for it, any suggestions.

untill i have this sorted i certainly wont be trying to see how far it can go, but when i do how high would it be safe to raise the voltage.

Also it seems i can only set a ratio of 3:4 so my ram is running faster no clue why, guess its a good thing though as the ram can cope with those speeds.

Also doesnt help that i cant get the internet working, damn network settings, currently using my parents pc to write this.

yep i got my tornado plugged in there, sounding like its going to take off. lol

And i just cleared my cmos which has fixed the alarm for now atleast, no idea what caused it.

Going to start some overclocking again.

Is it wise to put a tornado straight to the mobo i thought you would just put the yellow there for rpm monitoring.

jenko, yeah that what i mean, just the monitoring cable from it is connected to the mobo.

Currently running at 2.9, 43 c under load, fully stable it seems.

i'd check the wattage for that tornado, some mb headers are watts limited and probably better to use a molex ~~~ probably slow it down too, or switch to a low noise panaflo ~~~ with the small cache on these, just don't need that super fan ~~~ i started with a vantec aero tmd, ditched the tmd fan, mounted a 80mm > 120mm adaptor, topped with a 120mm panaflo, and hooked to a fan controller ~~~ highest temp i saw was 87F, using a digital temp guage on the corner of the cpu die

hint: keep notes on your settings when testing

Currently got it running at 3.1Ghz, voltage set at 1.6 in bios but shows a bit lower in motherboard moniter, seems pretty stable ran prime for 2 hours, did some benchmarking, played some ut2004 no problems at all. Going to run prime overnight tonight to make sure.

Then ill probably leave it like this for a day or so, then see how high it can go.

One question ive got is that i can see that im most certainly going to need to raise the voltage to get much higher than i am at the moment, but how high can i go? i dont want to go killing my processor so what is safe, temps certainly wont be a problem highest ive seen so far is 47c under load.

Been happily stable at 3.1 for a while now did over 20 hours in prime till i stoped it, Voltage set at 1.6250 actual was about 1.6, ddr set at 2.65v and agp at default of 1.55.

So i thought i would try for 3.2, could boot into windows fine having only changed the fsb, could do benchmarks but when it came to prime it failed after about 10 seconds. So i started raising a few voltages got to 1.6750 on cpu, 2.70 on ddr and 1.6 on agp, and it didnt make any change.

Is the only way i can get it stable ay 3.2 going to be raising the voltages more? Would this be safe to go much higher?

i've run the ddr at 2.9, but for some reason the Vcore only to 1.425

what are your memory settings???

Back