• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Throw away my 5900XT just to play DOOM 3??!!! HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ricvonhelms

Registered
Hi all,

Get this... Doom 3 keeps crashing back to the desktop when i try to play it. I have it set at all the minimal defaults with my 5900XT. This card was modded to a 5950U and worked great but i flashed it back to try to get DOOM 3 to work. So, activision tells me i have to upgrade my card. So, now i have to spend 300 bucks on a 6800 just to play DOOM 3?? This is inexcusable as Activision should have supported these cards when the game was developed. I have all the lates drivers installed and my system is totally clean. Anyone have any ideas????? PLEASE, i dont want to spend 300 bucks on a 6800 just to play DOOM 3!!!!!!

ricvonhelms said:
Hi all,

Get this... Doom 3 keeps crashing back to the desktop when i try to play it. I have it set at all the minimal defaults with my 5900XT. This card was modded to a 5950U and worked great but i flashed it back to try to get DOOM 3 to work. So, activision tells me i have to upgrade my card. So, now i have to spend 300 bucks on a 6800 just to play DOOM 3?? This is inexcusable as Activision should have supported these cards when the game was developed. I have all the lates drivers installed and my system is totally clean. Anyone have any ideas????? PLEASE, i dont want to spend 300 bucks on a 6800 just to play DOOM 3!!!!!!

Why would you have to upgrade your card to play doom 3? That 5900XT should smoke Doom 3 on relatively high settings... I'm outta the loop about Doom 3... maybe there were issues I'm not aware of...

I think it has to do with modding on the card. Doom3 stresses the card more than any other game today. The FX5900/XT is supported.

run your pc at stock speed then try it and see if it crashes. i doubt the flash had anthing to do with it, i gave my flashed 5900 to my bro and he play's d3 fine on a 2500+ at stock speed with only 512 of crappy pc2700.

my 5900 flashed o 5950 works just fine on doom3....1024x786 on high setting.

nice avatar copernicus ;)

Try playing it with an old, spare card that you have and see if it works with Doom. If it works with Doom, then you probably damaged your video card while you were modding it.

Back