• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti vs FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsmcbn

Whats the difference as far as performance? My PNY Ti4200 64 8x seems like it runs everything I play ok including Doom 3 but as usual i start getting the itch to upgrade and FX seems to be all thats out there now. My wallet tends to decrease the itching.

I started out with a couple of FX 5200's and now have a Ti4600. Unless you plan on going with a 5900 or 5950, I would say stick with the Ti.

I agree, you'll only see noticable peformance increase on a 5800Fx or above. U might wanna check out a 5700ultra if you've got dx9 games you want to play, but I don't think performance is going to be that much greater that ur 4200. I'd stay away from the FX series and jump into the 6000s unless you can find a crazy good deal.

The fx59xx series are good, the fx5800 series generally overheat, and some fx5700 (particularly albatrons fx5700u3) oc like mad. I think you'll notice a decent upgerade to a 5700 , but the fx5700U3 costs as much as an fx5900, so I don't think its worth it. I would personally wait for the 6600's, your ti4200 should last quite a bit more time (I would be sing a ti4200 but i burnt it).

Fx-5200's are far worse than any Ti.
Fx-5600's where designed to be on par with them.

Thus meaning that what iceberg_slim said was completly correct.
I'd say a 6600 would be good for you, like what buddhafumes said.

I have a 5800NU here that overclocks like crazy. The ram overclocks so well that with coolbits and riva it goes to the wall at 1Ghz, no artifacting, as far as the slider will let it go. I think the 5800NU was a steal for $125

4200 -> 9800pro was a good upgrade. Wouldn't goto the equiv of anything slower though, 5950 + nvidia wise.

I disagree with some of the guys above. FX is the way to go because it supports dx9 which the newest games take advantage of ex:doom3, half-life2, city of heroes. yes they will run on a GF4, but FX cards get an extra little "boost". um, the 5200 is YUCK, it'll take advantage of dx9 but run like crap, the 5600 is so so and you'll be muy bien if you get a 5700 or above, especially the ultras

Back