• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestion on Video card Purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slurve

Registered
I am running an AM 64 3000+ 512 mb Mushkin Black lev2 with a 160 gb hard drive with a 19 inch CRT monitor....I am looking to replace the truly poor graphics card that is in my rig currently.

I have about 200 to spend but I could justify saving a bit more if its actually worth it. I am currently looking at the 9800 pro 128 mb... Is the performance of the 6800 vanilla worth the 80 dollars more?

Any suggestions appreciated

The 6800 vanilla is a pretty good card . . .

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_performance_and_overclocking/page15.asp

But there's a fair sized gap between the vanilla and the gt. It really depends on when you want to make your next upgrade. Say . . .

6months = 9800pro
1 year = 6800 vanilla
2 years = 6800 gt

Well that and what games you want to play. If you want to play next gen shooters you might as well bite the bullet and go for a next gen card. If you want to hunt for a bit on ebay I bet you can come across a 9800pro for 150 or less. I did.

I'd say either get a dirt cheap 9800pro or go for broke and get the 6800gt. The more I read about the 6800gt online the more I like it. I haven't seen that much on the vanilla version though.

Back